LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what all should I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what all should I replace?

Guys I have been researching cams for about a month now. I'm starting to realize what I want and what I dont. Now I just dont know exactly what all I need/should replace while doing the install.

1.Timing Set: I know I will need a new timing set. Is the LT1/LT4 Extreme Duty my only option? The damn thing is $245.00. While I'm going to do this right, I dont want to spend more than neccesary.

2: Water Pump: I figured while I was there it would be a good time to replace the waterpump. Would you suggest doing a Electric Pump or another Mechanical? I'm concerned with the longevity of an EWP and also the reliability.

3: Opti: I was hoping that if I replaced the WP, I may not need to replace the opti? Kinda like "If it's not broke, dont fix it" I figure With 96K on it, it would be a good idea to replace but like I said, Uneccasary expenses are what I'm trying to avoid. I know that WP failure is always a big concern with the brilliant location of the opti.

4: Lifters: I have talked with severeal people who say reuse the stock ones. Others say get some kind of stock replacement?

I'm not sure if it matters but the cam I'm looking at is the cc503 or a Custom Grind from Bret Bauer (sp?)

One more thing, do you guys think it's possible to get all parts for around 1K? I could probably swing $1200.00 but like previously mentioned, the cheaper the better. While still using quality parts.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mystic95
Guys I have been researching cams for about a month now. I'm starting to realize what I want and what I dont. Now I just dont know exactly what all I need/should replace while doing the install.

1.Timing Set: I know I will need a new timing set. Is the LT1/LT4 Extreme Duty my only option? The damn thing is $245.00. While I'm going to do this right, I dont want to spend more than neccesary.

2: Water Pump: I figured while I was there it would be a good time to replace the waterpump. Would you suggest doing a Electric Pump or another Mechanical? I'm concerned with the longevity of an EWP and also the reliability.

3: Opti: I was hoping that if I replaced the WP, I may not need to replace the opti? Kinda like "If it's not broke, dont fix it" I figure With 96K on it, it would be a good idea to replace but like I said, Uneccasary expenses are what I'm trying to avoid. I know that WP failure is always a big concern with the brilliant location of the opti.

4: Lifters: I have talked with severeal people who say reuse the stock ones. Others say get some kind of stock replacement?

I'm not sure if it matters but the cam I'm looking at is the cc503 or a Custom Grind from Bret Bauer (sp?)

One more thing, do you guys think it's possible to get all parts for around 1K? I could probably swing $1200.00 but like previously mentioned, the cheaper the better. While still using quality parts.

I replaced my timing set with a factory replacement from GM -- it was 12 years old and I figured while I had everything out it wouldn't hurt to put a new one in. The extreme duty timing set does not work with a non-vented opti, so keep that in mind.

I'd get all of the basic gaskets for the swap -- Thunder Racing sells an entire cam swap gasket set, its extremely complete. The only one I didn't use was the TB to the intake gasket, I had replaced it recently so it didn't need to be replaced again.

Also get a big tube of black RTV (or copper sealant) when putting everything back together.

The lifters should be alright (depending on mileage) if they make any kind of noise now then go ahead and look into getting some factory-like replacements (just don't get Comp R's).

I also used the cam swap as an opportunity to just clean everything up so that in the future if I have any sort of leaks, I'll know the culprit. I'm a firm believer in "Do it once, do it right" so keep that in mind so you don't have to "re-do" anything later on down the road.

Good luck, I know when I swapped my cam in it was a big ordeal, but the results were well worth it.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

With a cc503 or similar cam you can just take a stock one,it will be fine.

Yes the ewp can free you up some hp(10hp max) but its always a guest because reliability is a concern.Im replacing a head gasket on my car because my ewp failed in heavy traffic,so no way to stop quickly.The stock unit combine with a 160degree thermostat and a lower fan start would be the best imo,no more ewp for me...

You know what, i would keep it(i did).Just put a new cap and rotor and you ll be ok.These thing can work for a long time you know even if they have bad reputation.Because they are supposed to be hard to change...they are not that bad..

No noise keep them.

I would go with Bret,he can grind you a better cam, more suitable for what you want.