Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help adjusting incon wastegates!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help adjusting incon wastegates!!!!!!!

Hey guys, I've been trying to get my incon wastegates adjusted and nothing seems to be working so please help me out here. I'm taking the car to get tuned on Monday so I'd like to get these adjusted so I can run off the manual boost controller. Right now they begin to open around 2.9 PSI no matter how much I turn the actuator rod. I've enclosed a picture explaining what I'm doing. Do I need to thread the rod down a little bit via the nut on the threads? Any help would be great guys!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Help adjusting incon wastegates!!!!!!!-incon-wastegate..jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you trying to run? If it is 2.9 now, you can put the MBC in and up it with the controller. I wouldn't recommend going more than say roughly 40% increase with the MBC, if you need more than that, I would adjust the actuator first.

To do that- you have to loosen the nut and turn the rod end in to increase or out to decrease. If you have been turning that slver piece, I hope you didn't damage the diaphragm.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

don't the wastegates need to be set higher than the MBC?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Teching In

no.. think of the MBC as a check valve.. pressure must exceed X psi inorder for it to blow the MBC open and then reach the wastegate and push it open as well.

it sounds like you've got a 3psi spring in the wastegate (which should work fine). but if you want adjustment why not just change the wastegate spring to a higher weight? (5psi or 8psi, or 10psi, etc)
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like was said- the MBC increases boost above gate pressure, not the other way around. I think I have some experience here - www.joepmbc.com . Just changing the spring for a higher psi will not spool as fast as using an MBC or EBC, so I wouldn't recommend running just off the gate spring. Beside- you cannot change the springs in an internal gate actuator- you would need to find an actuator that would fit with the correct spring pressure in it. He could turn the rod in also to preload the spring and get more boost if he wanted to, but again- it would not spool as fast as it would if you used a controller on it.
Joe
Old 12-02-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Resident

can't change the spring in this wastegate. It's adjustable for that reason. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here though.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

thanks kwiksilver. The passenger side wastegate turns fine, I preloaded it a bit, and will check here in a second what it opens at now. the driver side is kinda rusty on the rod where the threads are so I've sprayed break free on it. Will let it sit for awhile and try again in a vice here in a few, but I was going to get it tuned for now around 10-12 psi but it's up to the tuner, I told him if it seems to be going good, crank her up.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Teching In

you're both correct.. i didn't look at the picture and assumed we were speaking external gates. been a long time since i've discussed anything with an internal gate, so i naturally just assumed.

kinda surprising, for as much as the INCON kit was, that they'd choose internal gates.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

No problem, hope it works out for you! Also- you know you run one MBC teed to both wastegates, right? I have seen people with a TT setup try to run two MBC's, so I'm just checking .
Joe
Old 12-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Teching In

are the INCON units T3's?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Coal Mining Director

anarchy, are you hooking the rod back up to the wastegate after you lenghten it? You can't just lengthen or shorten the actuator like in the picture...it has to be hooked back up to test the preload.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I just got them both back on and adjusted for roughly 9.5 psi opening pressure. I'll use the MBC to control the rest. The driver side actuator rod was a little rusted and since I couldn't turn it down the threads, thats why I was like WTF am I doing wrong here!!!!!!! Thanks for all the help guys. Here in a second I'm going to post up a sanity check thread, so everyone can take a look at both my PCV setup and my vacuum lines and make sure everything is straight before I drop it off at the dyno and they have to chew up expensive dyno time fixing stupid stuff!!!!!! Thanks again guys.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Teching In

so you do plan on running 9.5+psi at all times, correct?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, at least for the dyno tuning and I can turn it down later on if I need to re-adjust the wastegates now that I conquered that mountain.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Teching In

i think you're making life hard for yourself, honestly. it sounds like you're trying to use the wastegate as your boost controller. set the wastegate to like 5psi, and use the MBC to adjust to 10 or whatever you want to run. you shouldn't ever have to adjust the wastegate. when you dont wanna run 10.. dial the MBC back to 8 or 7 or 6 or whatever.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

wouldn't you want to adjust the actuators to the lowest psi you'd ever want to run, then use the MBC to go up from there? I would think that it would work best that way . . . for example I have the 5psi actuators in mine, normally would want to run 10-12 on the street, maybe 15 at the track. I would think the actuators adjusted to 10 rather than 5 would be best.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
wouldn't you want to adjust the actuators to the lowest psi you'd ever want to run, then use the MBC to go up from there? I would think that it would work best that way . . . for example I have the 5psi actuators in mine, normally would want to run 10-12 on the street, maybe 15 at the track. I would think the actuators adjusted to 10 rather than 5 would be best.
it could work that way.. but that'd mean you can't adjust below 10psi without having to manually adjust the wastegate. if the MBC is set to 10, then it doesn't make much difference whether you've got 5 or 8 or whatever set on the wastegate, because it wont see any pressure until 10psi. however if you ever cared to you could still adjust down to 5psi for adverse weather conditions, bald tires, blah blah.. whatever reason you'd want to reduce HP under boost.

me personally, i'd rather have less HP in bad weather as i wouldn't be using 600hp in the rain, and i'd rather not stand in the rain in a parking lot and have to adjust the wastegate to allow myself the lower boost levels. thus i'd set it to 5, to allow me to run that minimally.. and if i wanted to raise the boost.. raise the MBC.

in short, it allows you the ability to tune HP out of the car, as well as tune HP into it.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Somehow I missed your response ( DOH! ), came in here to do a search tonite and found this again . . . I do agree with everything you've said, valid points. My car is not my daily driver however and doesn't see rain. And if you do plan to always run a minimum of x psi, I'd rather have x be set at the actuator, and here's why.

I guess my situation is a bit different . . . went out tuning the car today, I've got the 5psi actuators in there, MBC set to around 14. It hits 14 and drops from there to about 11, I'm convinced there's enough pressure pushing those pucks open and that's why it's dropping. I've checked everything and don't appear to have any leaks. If I set the MBC to say 10-11 it stays rock solid and doesn't drop. Also makes sense, I seem to recall Harlan in the early days had to wire his shut to get more boost. He did get some wicked spikes however. So I think I'm going to at least try cranking that rod in, I've got a MityVac to test it . . .

- Dug
Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to turn the adjusters to get the proper preload just like in the instructions. You prolly have the 4.5-5psi wastegates. Find in the instructions where it says to adjust the rods to half an actuator rod "hole" shorter that the stud on the wastegate flapper stud. That always worked perfectly for me. When i wanted more boost, i used a MBC and tee'd the lines to the wastegates. I eventually went to 13psi wastegate actuators when i wanted to run 20+ psi with the incons. On a side note, i ran the stock actuators with NO hoses for a long time and the exhaust pressure would open the gates at 12psi every time. I would not recommend that unless you know your tuning since your gates may open at a different psi depending on exhaust etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

cablebandit, thanks for chiming in, that would explain why mine are opening the way they are. So the half-a-hole equates to about how much increase opening pressure over 4-5?

Quick Reply: Help adjusting incon wastegates!!!!!!!