Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported MAF, ported LS1 intake inlet, and lid swap over weekend for yet more SOP gains

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported MAF, ported LS1 intake inlet, and lid swap over weekend for yet more SOP gains

Well, I had a spare stock MAF meter that has been externally polished so I thought I'd give it the port and polish treatment to see if the car liked it. More on that in a minute.

Now I know your only suppose to make one change at a time but as often happens I got carried away.

First, I had ported the snot out of my TB recently and actually think I may have opened it up more than most I've seen pics of, and I noticed the inlet opening on my LS1 intake was clearly a smaller diameter than my TB when looking in holding the TB wide opened. So, I pulled the TB, stuffed some clean rags in the intake and broke out a couple of files. While it likely took more time not useing a dremel I had done the same thing on the TB and noticed that it allowed me to really straighten the flow path out and make the surface less irregular. So, first I opened the opening at the TB mounting surface up to match the TB, then I worked on removing a ridge right behind the TB opening on the floor. Also worked on flatening the sides of the inlet to (had previously popped the big plastic thingy off the inside passenger side), and then opened the roof up as well. Just focused on the basics, ie; blending, flatening and just makeing for a smoother path for the air to enter the intake plenum area. Finishing with sand paper, stopping with only 400 grit. I had to vacume several times throughout this process as I really wound up removing alot of material (quite a pile on the rag I had underneath the inlet). Again, real easy to get carried away and since I'm likely swapping this out for an LS6 intake anyways I kinda thought what the heck (still didn't go as far as I could have).

Next, I first followed the porting steps from here http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Then, once I had done those mods to the MAF and again maybe then some, I noticed the big step up that now existed from where the screen seated up against and well........... That didn't look good to me for airflow so I stared at it for a few and realized that if I cut approximately .250" off the snout of the inlet housing I could likely file/flatten and remove that step up/ridge completely. So, I figured hey again this MAF is a spare, was really kinda a freebie how I got it (with a lid), and if it doesn't like it the things already junk so lets really trash it. In the end the MAF looked awesome, atleast from an airflow improvement standpoint. This baby is opened way the heck up just like my TB. You look straight through it and compare to stock and it just left me saying........this things gonna wake this lill block up big time, or I just through the tune way off. One or the other, big change.

Second to last thing I did was to replace the cheapy carbon fiber lid I had scored real cheap with a Blackwing lid that I did not score cheap. Naturally, I just can't help myself at this point so upon looking at the transition out of the lid into its adapter boot I thought again things could be much smoother for the airflow, so.........hated to do it but atleast its hidden.......back to the files......smoothed and removed the ridge a little, but ran out of time to go all the way with it (next weekend maybe).

Lastly, my car had been dead stock under the hood when I got my hands on it fairly recently and I had not jumped right to a K & N filter so I had still been running what looked to be just an OEM replacement/parts store filter. Well, I replaced that with a Donaldson inspired Amsoil replacement filter element. They are suppose to flow really well, and filter awesome and since the Blackwing lid says right on the underside that it was made by Donaldson Tech. I thought it'd be a good match, plus no oil to deal with for what its worth yet still cleanable (we'll see).

So, until today I really hadn't gotten on it all out yet. Timing, etc., and I noticed oddly when I did the TB mods previously that the car just seemed to very noticeably keep getting stronger and stronger over the following days as the the EEC was continueing to adapt / rewrite tables or something.

This thing is really wakeing up now for a stock engine. I'm getting pretty impressed. There is one place where I have a little tendency to really get on it on my way home from work. Just after turning going through and intersection where ya tend to get real bogged down by the heavy commute traffic. The two left turn only lanes immediately become three once you make the turn so if your watching closely you can often get an opened lane to get out from behind all the looky lews. If I'm going to hammer it there I stay in first around the corner and actually just barely give enough go pedal to increase speed with everyone till I get the opening, then to the firewall with the loud pedal she goes. Since your already moving I can usually just feel the rear tires slipping pretty good, and your instantly at second gear time. Well today, it seemed to rev so much quicker that I just barely touched the limiter and that never happens as I've adapted and recognise with the stock cam theres not much point in spinning her that high, so I snapped second gear off and damn if she didn't loose so much traction that she went into fairly violent wheel hop. Now, since my TB porting the tire spin became really increased going into second and often the *** end will kick out so much and so quick that'll I'll pedal it, but the traction has tended to be better and the car stay straight when getting on it in this particular location. When I ported the TB I immediately noticed the getting sideways level of tire spin grabbing second, and now.........well this is the first time she's ever wheel hopped going into second. Pulled fairly harder all the way with 3rd coming quicker and with more of a jump to the front end as well. Then since I wasn't looking for a meeting with the fuzz or a judge anytime soon I immediatly plugged it into 4th and let engine breaking bring my back down to legal speeds.

Wow, so far I'd say it liked something I did anyways.

I will say, that it may be slightly weeker down off idle when lugging around which I do alot of commuting. A little early to say forsure, but it sounds a little weeker/lean down low now, but damn....WOT

Whenever I finally make it to the track I'll have to bring my stock meter to swap in to see what the clocks truely say.

This little LS1 is really growing on me and I'm used to oldschool big block muscle. Just need some tires and a rearend to see what she really wants to pull like/or not.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I type kinda fast so.......(and ramble more and more with each year).

I love free mods, damn.........I love free mods (porting/blending, etc.).
Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was my novel for english 3. TAKE THAT MRS. DANIELS!!!

but yea back to the point. good free mods always add up in the long run as obviously shown here
Old 12-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
There was my novel for english 3. TAKE THAT MRS. DANIELS!!!

but yea back to the point. good free mods always add up in the long run as obviously shown here
LOL, and to think I always aced english, but then.......that was a long long time ago. I can hardly write anymore too, or spell LOL. Isn't age grand, you go back to being incapable allllllll over again .

Yes, these cars really seem to respond well to common sense airflow improvements. Very impressed!

English 3, lol.........
Old 12-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Banned

Congradulations on the accomplishment! I bet it feels good to work on your own car...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Just wait until u start getting the "good" mods.....hehehe
Old 12-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Launching!

"Good" ........as in cam, heads, gears, etc.? Can't wait! May try to move the 9" swap up higher on the list to. Instinct is telling me I should. That and the measurements 7.500/7.625 that keeps popping into my mind.

Thanks guys, does feel good. My oldschool MO is converting over nicely to this late model lill block stuff.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

A rearend, LT headers, and an LS6 intake should all be very high on your list.