Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers and spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers and spark plugs

well i just bought a set of qtp race lt's and ory and was wondering about if i should change the spark plugs while i have the headers out or should wait untill i have the headers in. I heard changing the plugs was interesting so any input would be helpful.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Definately change the plugs at the same time. I would say to remove the plugs anyway until the LTs are bolted on. It makes life alot easier. I cracked one of my plugs doing my LT install, and then had a bad misfire afterwards, so I had to change the plugs again which is a PITA. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did my headers I put the plugs in before, but first I checked with the old plugs in that I could get the headers in without hitting the plugs. Just be careful and do not hit the plugs. If you cannot do that then just take all the coils off and its easy. You dont really need to take the coils of on the driver side, but the passenger side you should. I changed mine this weekend because I have nitrous now and needed a colder plug and it took about 45 mins.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait untill the headers are in to screw in the new plugs. You can remove the manifolds, jack up the old plugs, and not worry about it, but you don't want to crack a new plug.

Plugs are MUCH easier to install when you have headers anyway. Do the #8 from the bottom, and the rest are simple.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Just take your old headers and spark plugs off. Once your've got your new headers on then you can put the new spark plugs in.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cwaldt
Just take your old headers and spark plugs off. Once your've got your new headers on then you can put the new spark plugs in.

Don't break a plug like I did!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the input