Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad cats????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool bad cats????

this is my first time posting, long time reader.

I have 2000 Camaro SS M-6 Convertible. And this afternoon I started driving my car and as i began to drive the exhaust sound sounded louder, like if i had leak, i checked all the flanges and they are tight. they car feels a bit slugish, theres no codes...yesterday I replaced the trans mount with a energy one. its sounds like the car is choking at high rpm. is it the cats????? please help
Old 12-15-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you have a tank of bad gas causing the "choking", and the noise is just more drivetrain noise being transfered to the car from the poly mount.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Banned

That doesn't sound like bad cats, it sounds more like there's a timing problem. A bad cat will usually take the form of louder exhaust and more gas smell and/or smoke from the exhaust. Unless you hit something there's no reason it should suddenly change alot unless they were about to go bad and you blew out a chunk of the cat out the tailpipe, but that is rare I doubt that is what is going on here. Also a bad cat will usually throw a code, and the computer will sense that there is a bad cat. Might be an exhaust leak or perhaps you hit something.