Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual to 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default manual to 6-speed

How much do yall think it would cost to do a change like that and what site could I get a nice strong transmission for LOTS of horsepower?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

huh?

Do you mean 4-speed automatic to 6-speed manual??
Or 6-speed manual to the new 6-speed automatic??
Or what the hell??
Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

yeah my bad...auto to 6-speed. sorry hung over lol
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

No problem. Very understandable.

The 6-speed that corresponds with our cars is called the T56. It is a very durable transmission. So durable in fact, that everything else on the drivetrain is liable to brake before the trans. Anyways, check out the sponsors -----> A brand new T56 is going to cost around ~$2000, more or less depending on how much effort you put into your search. Good Luck!

btw, your automatic will be faster with a stall, shift kit, & trans cooler, just fyi.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

well i just bought the car a month ago. it already has a small cam, not sure what size , and a stall. I was going to put a **** kit on in a few months. I was just curious because the car has 80,000 miles on it and im thinking i may need to get a new trans in while. the car has 389 rwhp. what would the trans cooler do?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

389rwhp? Nice number.

The biggest enemy a transmission has is heat. Transmissions fail when they run too hot for too long. A transmission cooler cools the trans fluid so that this is not a problem. For a stock transmission, putting on a tranny cooler is like a pre-emptive strike, but once you put in an aftermarket stall, the trans cooler almost becomes a requirement.
The cam is probably 224/224 if I had to guess according to your rwhp...but that is a very uneducated guess considering I have no idea what else you are running. I am assuming you have supporting mods such as long tube headers, maybe an off-road y-pipe, aftermarket catback, intake...etc...What do you have?

And finally, what makes you think you need a new transmission? Is yours slipping? It would be great if you could get more documentation from the previous owner.....maybe you already have a built transmission? I mean you have a cam and stall, if the previous owner was a logical thinker then a built trans and trans cooler might already be on the car, or it was at least on his to do list.

The good thing is, a new T56 is going to cost about the same as a built 4l60e(the A4 you have now), maybe less, so all you have to do is decide if you want to keep the automatic or switch to the manual. And to answer that, you are going to have to think about the goals you have for your car...

Sorry this was so long, but I saved the best advice for last: Spend A LOT of time on this site before you do anything drastic, this site is overflowing with great info and people willing to help, along with the occasional smartass, but don't worry about that.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

well actually now that i think about it, i think i remember the guy saying something about a trans cooler. the car has actually had 3 owners, and it was the 1st one who modded the car. I just bought it from some older lady and the husband tried to tell me the mods he could remember. but he said its got flp headers, y pipe with high flow cats, cutout (stock catback), an airlid, and a small cam. he couldnt remember the size but it came from mti motorsports in houston, it was one of the first cams they came out with....my friend thinks it could be a 221. it doesnt lope hard. my friend ended up installing his maf from his wrecked camaro and saw that the throttle body was ported along with the cutout mod on the lid.

only reason i ask about the transmission is because a buddy of mine had an ls1 and said the transmissions are crap and with the amount of hp i have it could easily break. it doesnt slip or anything and the mechanic who checked it out said it seems fine. but i may as well just keep it until it goes so im not spending money when i dont really need to. im going to put a shift kit on it for christmas so ill see how i like that.

yeah, im definitely not doing anything big until the car is paid and i have another backup car you know...my daily driver lol. my loan for it wont end for another 4 years so i got sometime , just trying to plan now and see what i need to start saving for 1st.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tunit
well actually now that i think about it, i think i remember the guy saying something about a trans cooler. the car has actually had 3 owners, and it was the 1st one who modded the car. I just bought it from some older lady and the husband tried to tell me the mods he could remember. but he said its got flp headers, y pipe with high flow cats, cutout (stock catback), an airlid, and a small cam. he couldnt remember the size but it came from mti motorsports in houston, it was one of the first cams they came out with....my friend thinks it could be a 221. it doesnt lope hard. my friend ended up installing his maf from his wrecked camaro and saw that the throttle body was ported along with the cutout mod on the lid.

only reason i ask about the transmission is because a buddy of mine had an ls1 and said the transmissions are crap and with the amount of hp i have it could easily break. it doesnt slip or anything and the mechanic who checked it out said it seems fine. but i may as well just keep it until it goes so im not spending money when i dont really need to. im going to put a shift kit on it for christmas so ill see how i like that.
Well your buddy is not wrong, might have exaggerated a little, but not wrong. My trans went out at 65,xxx and I only have bolt-ons. But that allowed me to get my rock-on level 4 trans, so its all good. If you have a trans cooler that will help a lot, as well as the shift kit you are putting in.

Originally Posted by tunit
yeah, im definitely not doing anything big until the car is paid and i have another backup car you know...my daily driver lol. my loan for it wont end for another 4 years so i got sometime , just trying to plan now and see what i need to start saving for 1st.
Sounds like a plan!

btw, if you still have the 10-bolt, start saving for a new rear-end...that will most likely go before the transmission...
Old 12-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

btw, if you still have the 10-bolt, start saving for a new rear-end...that will most likely go before the transmission...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that is actually the first BIG thing on my list. I'm going to use the money I get from my tax return this year to put a bunch of small things on it; like a tint, electric cutout, the shift kit (if i dont get for christmas), and maybe a hooker catback if i have enough left over.

What is about the max my rear end could hold? I'd like to put some 315's on the back or get some drag radials so I can get traction off line. I can't launch it with the stall on, I'll just spin. And just taking off easy gives the other person a good jump
Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

I really can't give you a max rwhp number that the 10-bolt can hold. It all depends on a number of other things. Besides power, your suspension setup and choice of tire is going to determine how long the 10-bolt lasts. If you are on the stock suspension and street tires, the 10-bolt should be fine for a while. But once you start modding the suspension to hook-up better and/or put some sticky tires on(dr's) then the 10-bolt tends to snap like a twig, even at stock hp levels for the unlucky ones.

I would say put the 315's out back b/c it will increase your traction and it looks badass, but I don't think I would stick dr's on until you are ready to spring $$$ for a new rear-end. Spend some time practicing taking off with the stall. As I'm sure you know, just mashing the gas from a stand still in a stalled car on the street will only give you a smoke show, but once you learn exactly how much gas to give it(and feathering) without spinning or taking off like a grandma, you will really appreciate what a stalled auto can do.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

hey thanks for your advice. it sucks how the car came with such a shitty rear end. thats the only thing i miss about my mustang...i could launch hard off line againt my buddies ls1 and take him good, but after he shifted into 2nd it was all over lol. ill never go back to a mustang
Old 12-17-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

No problem! And yea your right, the damn 10-bolt is the one big flaw these cars have.
Glad to hear your mustang days are over! Good Luck with your car man.