Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Questions

Well, some of you might reckonize my name, some might not. I frequent the LT1 section quite a bit as I have a 94 Z as of right now. But, as much as I love the LT1, I have ran into 2 LS1 Camaro's with deal's HARD to pass up and I'm really not sure which one to chase. So anyway, I hope to get some opinion's on the better deal:

1998 Camaro Z28. M6, 97K, red. Has a few dents and dings, but other than that , interior and exterior are fine. Motor is in good shape, but A/C is currently not in the car. Only real issue is that the guy say's it pops out of second sometimes, and it grinds going into fifth, but only when shifting sort of fast. He wants 5.5k for it.

Next up is..

2000 Camaro Z28. A4, 116K, NBM. I actually have met and dealt with the guy personally, and he knows his stuff. Buy's Camaro's, fixes them up and sells them. Has like 8-9 complete cars and numerous parts cars. Anyway, nothing is really wrong with this one. Was in an accident, put he repaired it and had it repainted. Also has the optional ground effects. He wants 5.3k.

Well, with that said, which one would some of you persue? I know from the description's that the 2k would seem the obvious, but I really want an M6. But not at the cost of having to rebuild the tranny after a little while. Anyway, thats about it a guess.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Teching In

If you don't want to replace the transmission, then go for the Z28. Sounds like a better deal anyway if the paint was done good.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

If you don't mind fixing or replacing the tranny I would go with 98 Z. I personally don't like autos. If anything offer 5K for the 98. I paid 8K for my Z and we are replacing the tranny, cause it started out just like the 98 you described and just got worse. I like the car and it runs really good, but the tranny sucks.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NoCobra
If you don't mind fixing or replacing the tranny I would go with 98 Z. I personally don't like autos. If anything offer 5K for the 98. I paid 8K for my Z and we are replacing the tranny, cause it started out just like the 98 you described and just got worse. I like the car and it runs really good, but the tranny sucks.
Yeah, I DD a 5-speed Maxima and my LT1 is a M6. I really want the M6, and the 97k mile's is a definate plus, but how much do you think a used T56 would run me? I can drop and change out the tranny myself, I just did the clutch on my 94, but money is kind of an issue. The LT1 is already kind of a money pit. Need a few this's and thats's before I can sell that and get alittle money back. Not to mention I have to sell my DD to make the LS1 a DD, and probably come alittle out of pocket to pick one up.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Neither, the 98 has tranny issues already and the 00 was in an accident. I would wait a little longer and save up some cash and get a lower mileage and a better condition LS1.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JerseyLS1TA
Neither, the 98 has tranny issues already and the 00 was in an accident. I would wait a little longer and save up some cash and get a lower mileage and a better condition LS1.
+1 go for a car with no issues.