Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Zinc, chrome, drilling access, What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zinc, chrome, drilling access, What to do??

I have access to zinc plating, cnc, precision drill press, and all the screw machines in the world.
What would you do?
I was thinking buy a strong set of rotors and X-drill and Slot in a unique design.< Not because I'm cheap, but because it would be something diff, and hopefully stronger than what's on the market. Heads, I probably wouldn't mess with, even though I have allies that will, since it's all on the computer. But t/b porting would be a breeze, even though I'm not inclined to it.

Just throwing it out there and trying to get some ideas of what people would do if they had cheap access to this technology. Keep in mind that dash any plastic peices would melt in the Zinc plating process as it would in chrome, plus it would be tacky if it were even possible.

I work at a specialty screw manufacturing shop for my GF's uncle, great to drink with, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind and could probably write off some of it on Uncle Sam. Will get some pics once I find the time to design and get some of these things done.
Ideas so Far:
-Unique rotors
-Exhaust tips to look like they've been shredded inside, somewhat like the borla intercooled ones
-Will replace my chrome painted ram air inserts with actual chrome metal ones, not the ones that attach to the OEM ones that DragonZ28 used to make. (not dissing them, just want replacements not add-ons.
-Unique valve stem and valve caps
-Maybe small "Raptor" emblem to go with my license plate RaptrTa
Old 12-18-2006, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that dash any plastic peices would melt in the Zinc plating process as it would in chrome, plus it would be tacky if it were even possible.
Plastic doesn't melt during chroming - if it did, I'd have quite a few items under my hood that were just blobs of plastic.

Don't know about zinc plating, but there are not high temps involved with chrome plating. The part is first prepped (if wanted) to remove mold marks, etc., then coated with a copper paint, then chromed as normal. The plater that does all my work plates plastic very well. At one point I had him chrome my stock hood and fender grilles to see the cost and if it would be something I could have done for resale - they looked great (much better then any chrome paint), but I felt the cost per piece was too high for most people - and that was with absolutely no profit.

Among some of the parts I have had done are the PS Reservoir, Dipstick Handle, various caps for A/C system, Dash vent Outer Rings, LS6 Intake (yes, the ENTIRE intake), and right now he's doing the plastic part that runs across the front of the car between the front nose and the hood latch brackets - you know, that crappy unpainted plastic part from the factory.

BTW, none of the chromed plastic parts look tacky - however, rattle can spraying plastic with fake chrome paint is...

-Jay-