Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0342 Nightmare! Help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P0342 Nightmare! Help...

Man, i cannot seem to figure this gremlin out.
Here is the situation.
code P0342
cam position sensor , low circuit input.

car is a '91 z28 with a '98 Ls1 swap. computer and all.
things were going fine, then all a sudden the ses light came on and the car started acting like crap. It was and still is miss firing and hard to start.
it was gradual at first now its worse. its to the point were after i drive the car and turn it off, i have to clear the codes just to turn it on again.
I started off by fixing little things it might be. first i changed plugs then plug wires, and also got a new cam position sensor. after that everything seemed ok....for the first 5 minutes then it started to act up again.

At this point i had no clue what to do, and hoped that tuning it would help. So i made a trip to see John02SS at XXX performance. He did some tuning on the car and fixed a part throttle issue the car was having, then tryed to clear out the cam sensor all together and it still acted up. He couldnt fix it via tuning....so the next thing to check was the grounds. I went threw all of them, and even re grounded the car. Nothing. Problem is still there.
Car runs super lean now...part throttle is 14-15 afr , wot is 16-17 afr...needless to say i dont go wot right now.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
I need to resolve this damn problem asap.
Thanks
-Chris
Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

if you already replaced the sensor try tracing the wiring. if the engine was just swapped in theres a good chance you may have wedged a wire in between something. seeing as its a low voltage ide unplug the position sensor at the connector and run an ohmeter from the pcm input the the CMP connector. if there is infitinite or alot of resistance then you have an open, which would lead to the pcm not seeing voltage, therfore setting the low input voltage code.
you should also check for opens in the sensor as well to be safe, buying a bad new part is nothing thats un heard of.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i checked the plug that goes into the sensor and the ohmeter doesnt even get a reading at all.
It worked fine for about 5 months or so. Then out of nowhere this happened.

Anyone know what pins these wires go into? any other suggestions?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

check to see if you burnt your wires on your headers if you have them.. very common for LSX setups. (mine got scorched as well)
Old 12-21-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a trouble shooting print out from the local dealer for the code...and tryed to go threw all the steps...i know what pins are for the wires going to the sensor...
and i think i have located the problem, but to be honest i dont know what to do about it.
The red pin #4 wire that supplys power to the sensor has power at the pcm, but it doesnt show any voltage at the plug that goes into the sensor.

One thing i did realize though, is this started happening after i cut the wires going to all the egr crap that the harness had. I had them all taped up....and i just took it off for the hell of it and checked them out. When i turned the key on and pulled the codes, a new code came up. P0107. absolute manifold pressure, low input. i guess it has to do with the map sensor? Well....now the car wont start at all.
There is one power wire within them (egr wires). there are several grounds as well. My question is, do you think this could have cause an issue with the position sensor? and could it be the root to all my issues?
What should i do?
thanks.
-Chris
Old 12-21-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i decided to look into the wiring....
i had to hack wire looms and tape for about an hour to get to everything.
I have a printout from the dealer on everything regarding that sensor, and it says its supposed to run from the pcm straight to the sensor....well after locating the pins and tracing the wires....low and behold they were cut....and they werent the ones i cut.
I have no idea how long they have been like this, but it looks to be from before i got it...weird. So i assume there is some hiding potential in this setup.

I found the wires i need and i am about to go to the store and get some good connectors and put them together , charge the battery (whoops) then clear the codes and hope everything checks out.

thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: P0342 Nightmare! Help...