Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

How hard is it to balance big rims?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How hard is it to balance big rims?

I went to have my new 18x9.5 C6 Zo6 rims with 275/35/18s Nittos 555 mounted and balanced. The shop had no problems mounting the tires, but couldn't get the them to balance. The machine was showing them needing 5+ ounces of weights (split between 2 locations) on the first pass, then needing more on the second pass. We tried 2 or 3 of the set of 4 with similar results.

I'm going to take them to another shop, as they shop I was at hadn't dealt with rims that big and suggested I try another shop when they didn't balance. Ultimately, they didn't charge me, so I tipped the mechanic for trying and threw them in my van and brought them home.

Is there anything special to look for in selecting my next shop?

Rims & Tires came from 2 different sponsors, but before I contact them, I want to try another shop that has the right equipment/experience.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try Discount Tire. im a tech at my local one and we do stuff around 20" and sometimes bigger without much trouble. im assuming your using tape weights no the outside of the wheel, and you dont want to counterbalance it, so have them get a starting point, see where it takes you, move weights in different positions to see the effect and as a last alternative just 180 the tire. also get them roadforced. that will make them balance and ride excellently, so the tire is mounted on the proper spot for the wheel. ideally though the 18's should only be asking for 2 or 3 ounces at most on the outside and the inside should be significantly less.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They had the stick on wieghts (sticky backing not the clamp on). It was taking 3.5 oz on the outside and 2.5 oz and then it would be respun and still need oz in another spot (in and out). After the second set it could still take more in a different spot.

What is roadforced? Is that a machine that simulates the road pressure during the balancing?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

yea they should try to balance the outside(side most-towards the spokes) and then once that balances out, the inside shouldnt be much of a problem, but the way it sounds, the tires need to be move around on the wheels to get in the proper spot. and yes roadforcing puts a roller on the tire and determines where the tire should be mounted on the wheel. also, make sure all the beads are fully seated. many times, if theres a small portion of the bead thats not fully seated on the rim, it will completely throw the balance off and it is difficult to see and find sometimes, especially if your not looking for it, with an 18" wheel and that small of a sidewall its not impossible that this could happen and go unseen.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

18x9.5's should be a piece of cake, its starts to get harder to balance once you reach the 22" and up sizes (which dont fit an f-body).
Old 12-24-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

you only want the tape weights right? keep the clip ons off the rim so they will look good.