Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of all existing wire when doing the swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 02:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Get rid of all existing wire when doing the swap?

For my 76 Vega swap I have a Speartech harness all made for my LSx engine. I took the interior and dash out for Stenod to put in a 10 point cage and mount the motor. I'm looking at the small wrieing mess in the car and am woundering if I should just take it all out.

If the Speartech harness will run the entire motor all I can think of that I need are headlights, breaklights and turn signals right?

Should I just pull all the wireing out, use the Speartech harness and then just do the simple wireing for the lights? Am I missing someting or is it that easy?

Thx

Ken
Old 12-28-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will need an ignition switch with power running to it. You will need wiring from the switch to the starter. What about fans are they electric? If you plan on any sort of a stereo, heater or A/C you will need wiring for that. If all you need are the basics, check Summit or Jegs or even Painless for a basic race car wiring kit.

Pat
Old 12-28-2006, 11:08 PM
8 Second Club

Yep electric fans and water pump so I was planning on switches for that and probaly a start one too and skip the key. I bet I can pull the old stuff out and do a clean minimul install pretty easy. Oh no raido or luxuries either so its just that much easier.

I starting to finally get excited
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 PM
9 Second Club

off topic.....but why in the world are you using that baby cam with a killer stroker motor??? just wondering.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:04 AM
8 Second Club

W2W recomended it. With they large valved L92 head it will behave like a larger cam in a smaller head. But these heads are still getting figured out so if it turns out not to be big enough I'll swap it out when everyone has more time to work with them.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

i don't understand the logic behind it, but i can't imagine it sounding like anything less than a stocker with that much cubes. regaurdless of the heads, it's still a very small cam, i know because i had that very same cam in a 346 with mild heads & ls6 intake, and it was very quite. here's a vid of a friends car with that cam, of course it's twin turbo so it makes a TON of power, but it's the exact same cam because the motor in the car was mine..... http://video.ls1tech.com/video/1aae1...1e018124aa.htm... listen to the idle. the cam has the identical specs right down to the lsa. hope it helps give you an idea.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 PM
8 Second Club

Yeah Im no cam expert but as I hear the large 2.16 valves act as a larger duration cam would but I agree its a little smaller them I liked but wat can ya do. Also I imagine that large of a SS valve is a lot of weight to throw around. If I don't like it I'll swap it out or maybe just drop the compression and add some hair dryers.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
9 Second Club

could do the turbo's, that'd be a GREAT cam for it! i'm just saying you're not taking full advantage of the large valves & high flowing heads & cubes. and from everyone i know, big heads & cubes make a cam more docile, and a small cam lazy. might want to look into doing a swap before you go through the trouble, or cost, of tuning it. i know W2W is the shiznit, but i guess i just like to maximize a combo if i'm spending the money on it. unless of course you're looking for something with more of a stock/sleeper idle? but then, i think an LS7 would have been the way to go for that. just my oppion, which isn't worth much! lol.

Quick Reply: Get rid of all existing wire when doing the swap?