Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 on test stand

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5.3 on test stand

I'm getting ready to insert an all-aluminum 5.3 from a GMC Envoy (same as Chevy Trailblazer) into a 1987 535iS BMW (E28 chassis). I wanted to sort out all the wiring and plumbing before hand so I've mounted the engine and transmission on a test stand. Attached are some photos of the stand and the motormount adapter plates I made.

I'll post more pix of some of the wiring and the drive-by-wire pedal mount later.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 on test stand-5.3-stand.jpg   5.3 on test stand-stock-motormount.jpg   5.3 on test stand-new-motormount-plate.jpg   5.3 on test stand-motormount-stand.jpg  
Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks pretty slick, ithink i may do something like this for my conversion.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default 5.3 Drive-by-wire on test stand

When I got the Envoy engine from the salvage yard, I also got the accellerator pedal with position sensor. We also looked all over to find the TAC (throttle actuator control) which in most pickups is under the hood. Turns out that the Envoy has the TAC built into the ECM.

All I had to do to make the pedal work was find six wires in connector C107 that match the six on the pedal.

The pedal is one of those adjustable types so it's too big to mount in my car. I'm thinking I'll pull off the sensor, mount it under the hood and actuate it with the existing throttle cable. Sort of drive-by-cable/drive-by-wire.

Doing an engine swap brings a lot of trials and tribulations but it also has those, "Wow, look at that!" moments. Like putting power to the ECM, pushing on the accellerator pedal and watching the throttle body move. Fun!
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 on test stand-drive-wire.jpg   5.3 on test stand-connector-c107.jpg   5.3 on test stand-matching-wires.jpg   5.3 on test stand-pedal-wires.jpg  
Old 12-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

all-aluminum 5.3 you say? What engine code is it? the only all-aluminum 5.3 i know is the LC9 with AFM and E85 support. And hell, i want one to! How much did you pay for it?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default All-aluminum 5.3

This engine came out of a 2005 GMC Envoy, same as Chevy Trailblazer. It has the DOD (displacement on demand) feature and a drive-by-wire throttle body. I think the 5.3 is normally available on the long-wheelbase version of these SUV's, while the shorter versions have the inline, 4.2 liter, six cylinder.

The transmission is from a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup.

Engine has 17,000 miles, transmission has 24,000. Gave a little over 2 grand for the package.

The engine code is LH6.

Last edited by Geezer's Garage; 12-30-2006 at 08:43 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

LH6! Of course. totaly forgotten the first DOD SBC. Price sounds great. Keep us postet about any singn of the DOD (Working or errorcodes).

Quick Reply: 5.3 on test stand