Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2L VVT in GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.2L VVT in GTO?

I just bought an LS1 GTO and was wondering if we could utilize the cam phaser used for the VVT in the 6.2L in the new Escalade??

The block is 4.060"....0.060 larger than an LS2, and listed for $1300ish at GMPP

Can you just upgrade the O.S. using HPTuners or it doesnt work that way?

I really appreciate any help...I am seriously thinking about taking this extra LS1 I have apart and use some of the insides to build an L92 and see what kind of numbers it could put down.

Also, does anyone know how this VVT works? does it advance the cam at lower rpms then retard as rpms climb? or does it constantly change depending less on RPM and more on engine load or throttle position, etc?

There is still only one cam lobe for each valve so I know it doesnt work like VTEC, changing lobes after a specific RPM...I think it doesnt use anything other than oil pressure for operation...can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You would need the L92 PCM and rewire the engine harness to use the L92 and VVT. It would be easier just to swap to a Ls2 or Ls2 402. And I don't think you would gain much with the VVT over an aftermarket cam anyway.

The VVT just moves the phase of the cam advanced or retarded a few degrees.
I think it was meant to give a good low end idle and still have mileage and top end.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bo185
You would need the L92 PCM and rewire the engine harness to use the L92 and VVT. It would be easier just to swap to a Ls2 or Ls2 402. And I don't think you would gain much with the VVT over an aftermarket cam anyway.

The VVT just moves the phase of the cam advanced or retarded a few degrees.
I think it was meant to give a good low end idle and still have mileage and top end.
yeah I think you are right....

Quick Reply: 6.2L VVT in GTO?