Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I need to tap the block.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I need to tap the block.

I stripped the threads out of the block torquing down the last head stud. Now I need to tap the block. Has anyone done this without removing the head? I don't really want to go through the whole process again if I don't have to. I'm hoping I can find a long tap to stick down there, re-thread and just clean out the one hole. I'm not sure on the size of the tap or where to get the piece(don't know what it's called) that will thread into the new tapped hole and that will have the same size threads as my studs. I'm just not really sure where to start here. Any Advise? Any help would be really appreciated.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to take the head off.Take a head bolt with you to a hardware store and ask them to match a tap to the bolt for you,When your cleaning out the hole I would have shop vac going so nothing falls into the motor.Go nice and easy and use some light oil or WD-40.Start with that untill maybe somebody else chimes in and has more idea's.I know the threaded inserts your talking about,Just can't remember the exact name for them........................Paul