Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom Rear mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Custom Rear mount questions

been thinking of doing a rear mount on a friends car. Building a forged 6.0L and looking for around 700rwhp.

Questions-

1. Sizing a turbo, how different is this for a rear mount than a front mount, A/R differences, what is better/needed for rear mount?

2. Manifolds/headers/ exhaust piping size- We have shorty headers but if manifolds will achieve these HP goals with better spool up that will work. Will it? And what size piping is optimal for going from engine to turbo? Im guessing 2.5" Y-pipe going to a single 2.5" over the axle to the turbo. I know it sounds small but giving the long run I think it would hold heat in and allow for better velocity. Am I wrong? Will it achieve 700rwhp?
What size is everyone else using? 3" ok? worse? better?

thanks,
Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

tttttttttttt
Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

im guessing these are dumb questions and being rear mount makes no difference in anything.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
been thinking of doing a rear mount on a friends car. Building a forged 6.0L and looking for around 700rwhp.

Questions-

1. Sizing a turbo, how different is this for a rear mount than a front mount, A/R differences, what is better/needed for rear mount?

2. Manifolds/headers/ exhaust piping size- We have shorty headers but if manifolds will achieve these HP goals with better spool up that will work. Will it? And what size piping is optimal for going from engine to turbo? Im guessing 2.5" Y-pipe going to a single 2.5" over the axle to the turbo. I know it sounds small but giving the long run I think it would hold heat in and allow for better velocity. Am I wrong? Will it achieve 700rwhp?
What size is everyone else using? 3" ok? worse? better?

thanks,
im no expert but since no one else has said anything, i might as well give it a swing to help you out.
For the rear mount you are going to want as much heat as you can get to the turbo so have all the piping coated, or covered with high temp dressing.
A/R still depends on where you want your power band to be, and with a remote setup id imagine for a desired powerband youd have go smaller a/r(compared to underhood turbo) to make up for the loss of heat and speed (power) of the exhaust hitting the turbine.
And from what i have heard the stock manifolds are a popular choice considering they can store more heat, not sure about the flow though...
please take this information with a grain of salt hopefully this post will inspire someone in the know to answer your question. and fix some of my mistakes.
best of luck
steven
Old 01-07-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alot..alot alot of threads on this...search a little then come with more poinnted questions. But yes, rear mounts are generally less efficient... but can be made to make alot of power and go fast. Alot is the same, alot is different.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

I did alot or searching and reading. No one really says anything about pipe sizing, like what size pipe will support XXX amount of HP. Theres that line between high velocity and enough flow that Im curious about.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pipe size STS used 2.25" I used 2.5" and went to a muffler shop with a mandrel bender. The exhaust pipe is 3" into the turbo. It was the best $375.00 I've spent on the kit so far. Any bigger and you can't fit it where you want. I think 346ci a a/r of .81 is about right for a street car. some are running a .70 a/r and they are boosting real quick. and a .96 for a strip car. I ran a T60-1 and it hit boost quick but fell on its face in the upper rpm range so I stepped up to the T-70. I'm sure for 700 rwhp you would need to build a solid bottom end, and you might as well go bigger c.i.d.. Sorry for all the rambling, I've been and watching the UNC game. Also headre wrap on from the Y pipe back I gained 500 rpm of full boost. was 3700 now 3200 rpm