Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

input needed with oil pressure issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default input needed with oil pressure issue

this is the last time i am going to try and figure this out before i take it to a shop (8hr drive) and let them bend me over with labor.

the car has great oil pressure at idle when you first start it (35psi) when you drive it around and keep it at running temp for atleast a 1/2 hr the pressure starts to drop and drop. when it first got up to full temp it ran 30 psi at idle. after awhile it dropped to 25psi. next it dropped to 20psi and then to fluttered to 15psi. i parked it when it started doing it. i cannot find anyplace that its leaking oil and its not burning it.

i went ahead and replaced the oil pump and just got it running tonight and guess what? same **** different day!! i would like to hear to input as to what my problem could be, i have my own ideas but im hoping im not right.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be better suited in the Maintenance and Repairs section, but I will give it a go. How sure are you that your oil pressure indication is working properly? If you believe that you have good oil pressure indication, then you may have some interior engine damage / wear. What engine? How many miles? Any other indications or symtoms? Try to give us as much info as possible and we will try to help you out.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

iron 408 stroker with 1,000 miles on it, the motor sounds fine. i have an interceptor digital oil pressure guage that plugs into the diagnostic port under the dash. its a $220 gauge so it should be accurate.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

Did you build the motor? If so what were the bearing clearances? Is there any metal in the oil pan?
35psi cold is low. I get 60+ when I start mine and drops to 30-40 or so after it warms up.
Have you tried a manual gauge on it to see if the sending unit my be bad?
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

no i didnt build it. i found some shavings in the oil filter when i cut it open but i assumed it was from break in. i havent tried a manual gauge. i live in the middle of no-where and i would have to seek one out.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

As mentioned above you need to verify the oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gauge for an accurate reading. Then take it from there.