Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranked up the LS1 notch over the weekend!!!! WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cranked up the LS1 notch over the weekend!!!! WOW!

All I can say is research, research, research. With all the great info from here I finally got the notch breathing a new life. Attached is a pic of the carbed ls1.

I never expected the headers to be such a pain in the ***. I went ahead and used summit racing's 302 long tube headers and sliced off the flange's and welded on some sdpc ls1 flange's. I had to move 1 tube on the drivers side header to clear the steering shaft which was fairly simple, just time consuming. Now, the pass side was actually the real pain in the ***. I had to move 2 tubes, one around the starter I had to reposition further towards the k-member and the other tube is the first tube I had to run down the back side of the header to keep it from hitting the k-member.

Here's some good info for the ones thinking about going with a carbed setup. This thing startes and runs like a champ. I never expected it to start on the 1st try especially using stuff I have never used before. I had to adjust the fuel pressure down to 8psi (was at 14 for some reason) but other than that I just need to re-jet when I get it to a dyno. There is so much to explain but I will leave the ?'s to whoever wants to ask. The list is to long...

Oh and btw, the cam/compression sound's wicked!!! Can't wait to finish the brakes to finally drive this beast. For pics will come!
Attached Thumbnails Cranked up the LS1 notch over the weekend!!!! WOW!-img_2189.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good. We need a video too.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool swap, that should be one quick car... just put a broken powersteering pump on it, and everyone will think you're just another notch with a blower... lol (kiddin...)

whats the deal with the brass fittings on the front where the head coolent bleed is? is that an air bleeder fitting?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

what made you go carbed? that should def. roll out hard. ive been debating on going carbed lsx for 6 months or so... def. like to see some numbers
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
very cool swap, that should be one quick car... just put a broken powersteering pump on it, and everyone will think you're just another notch with a blower... lol (kiddin...)

whats the deal with the brass fittings on the front where the head coolent bleed is? is that an air bleeder fitting?
Thanks for the compliments guys!

The brass fitting you see if where I temp rigged up the coolant sensor for my autometer gauge. I am going to install it in the drivers side head eventually.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by s.o.m.SS
what made you go carbed? that should def. roll out hard. ive been debating on going carbed lsx for 6 months or so... def. like to see some numbers
I have always been old school and know holley (type) carbs very well. Plus, I have the advantage of a computer aswell using the MSD 6010 box. I can plug my laptop up to it and set my timing, rev limiter and eventually when I add the bottle to it I can setup retard. You would not belive how well this runs, idles, rev's etc.. Can't wait to run her at the track.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Thanks for the compliments guys!

The brass fitting you see if where I temp rigged up the coolant sensor for my autometer gauge. I am going to install it in the drivers side head eventually.
ooh.. id change that ASAP.... the sensor isnt going to get a very accurate reading, or change very fast if she starts to heat up on ya..
plus, thats the area where you're supposed to be bleeding airpockets out of the head.

if it was me, i would probly drill and tap the back of the waterpump, behind the outlet to the radiator...then put a right angle fitting in there...
nothing would stickup or look ugly, and you would get your coolent bleed..

for that sensor, you can also put it in the passenger side head, if that works better for you.... but id move it soon... its possible that the only thing that sensor is touching is an airpocket.

btw, im not trying to slam your car or anything, id just hate to see someone overheat their motor because of something so simple, and id feel like an *** if that happened and i didnt say anything when i noticed it.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Looks GREAT! i just got my Mighty Demon 750 carb and by Friday i will be ordering the Vic Jr. i got an Edelbrock box for a deal i couldn't pass up, but i'm not going to be dragging the car regularly and it'll never see n2o, so it should do me just fine. the coolant sensor for my AutoMeter guage is on the pass head, and i'll be using an AutoMeter thermo-sensor with the electric fan relay. it's used as a ground for the relay so when it opens at a preset 175 it activates/grounds the fan relay so it turns on, and closes/shuts off the fan at 190. i'm not 100% sure on temp on/off becuase i don't have the specs in front of me, but you get an idea, it's pretty close to those #'s.

i'm amazed how light that car is!!!! mines 2850 and i thought it was light. i hope to drop 100lbs off of it over the next couple months, keeping the power steering/brakes & full interior which already has dual poly buckets in it, but 2430 lbs??? is that accurate? if it is, WOW!!! i'm jealous! LOL.

let's see more pics.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

what size filter is that and if you're going with a cowl hood, do you know what size you need to clear it??? thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Any issues with the MSD 6010 box? I have read some unconfirmed reports that the MSD box can be sensitive to low voltage and can give starting problems. Have you experienced anything like that?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

No problems with the 6010 it has workwd great for me.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
what size filter is that and if you're going with a cowl hood, do you know what size you need to clear it??? thanks.
It's a 4" element. I am going to try a 3" cowl 1st, if not, have to go with 4" cowl..
Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6L.IROC-Z
No problems with the 6010 it has workwd great for me.
+1....
Old 01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
i'm amazed how light that car is!!!! mines 2850 and i thought it was light. i hope to drop 100lbs off of it over the next couple months, keeping the power steering/brakes & full interior which already has dual poly buckets in it, but 2430 lbs??? is that accurate? if it is, WOW!!! i'm jealous! LOL.

let's see more pics.
Yeah, I put it on a friends weight dist scales (under each wheel) and added it up, it was 2428 but that was empty with no fenders on the front or front bumper. I imagine once it's all said and done it will be about 2530 or so..
Old 01-10-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

post more pics!!! or a video???
Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Very cool. Defineatley want to see more pics, and a vid!!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
post more pics!!! or a video???
Thanks guys! Here's a link to pics.. video's to come later...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/637900-more-pics-my-ls1-coupe.html
Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Yeah, I put it on a friends weight dist scales (under each wheel) and added it up, it was 2428 but that was empty with no fenders on the front or front bumper. I imagine once it's all said and done it will be about 2530 or so..

ok, after seeing the other pics i believe it's that light. i was envisioning a full interior. as for the hood, PLEASE keep me informed. i just ordered a 3" element with a 1 1/4" drop base air cleaner assy. oh, did you use a drop base? if not, there's another inch+. let me know when you can. i wouldn't mind a 3", i'd prefer a 2.5", but i do NOT want more than 3" for the street. thanks alot.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

I was about to ask you what you did to get it that light, but then I saw the pictures Looks good.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Teching In

2430lbs + 4xx rwhp + nitrous... that things gonna be slow.

Quick Reply: Cranked up the LS1 notch over the weekend!!!! WOW!