Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default point me in the right direction

hey guys,

i want to build a motor and perfom a swap and go FI (more than likely turbo).

my goal is to go for 600-700hp.

im pretty set on doing a 383 stroker to begin w/ because of the cost and being sure i can reach my goal pretty easy.

the car is an a4, with a 3500 stall and 3.73 gears.

ive been searching the forums for ideas on other peoples builds but im still hungry for information on what is involved and how to do it. Is there any materials you guys would recommend that i can read up on?

I found the 383 build up on the GMHP and have been reading through it.

This build has been done as a rebuild and they suggested going with a rotating assembly package - i found that lunati has a few starting around $3500 but I think i can get an assembled short block for around $4700.

i see the lunati assemblies can be had w/ the different configurations for different CRs.

Few questions this has raised:

a. Are the listed CRs w/ stock heads?
b. could i purchase the 10.5 compression setup, install it and then change the heads to go for a lower CR. That way having the best of both worlds?
c. do you guys recommend doing the build myself or purchasing the assembled short block?

any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM
Launching!

go read the 254+ posts in the 1000 hp dreamers about 4 below this one to get a good idea of what your getting into first. you may change your mind!!
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

i hadnt read it before you suggested, but afterwards it hasnt changed my opinion much.

I already knew about the cost and that it would be something else on the street.

the car is going to be a WW (weekend warrior) / track car. My thought is that I could always start low and move up as my experience grows.

what would the starting HP be for a basic 383?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my2kTA
i hadnt read it before you suggested, but afterwards it hasnt changed my opinion much.

I already knew about the cost and that it would be something else on the street.

the car is going to be a WW (weekend warrior) / track car. My thought is that I could always start low and move up as my experience grows.

what would the starting HP be for a basic 383?
For a low compression 383 built for boost I would say high 300's/low 400's with a decent sized turbo cam.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do 600-700 hp on a forged 346 as well though, just need it to be well built and go with a ds1c.

Quick Reply: point me in the right direction