Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch change questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch change questions

I just bought a clutch from Byunspeed and if the weather ever clears up here I'm going to have it installed. I've done a few searches and I'm not quite sure what trans fluid I shoud get. My car is a 99 and I've read that some of these fluids will eat blocker rings or something??? What do you guys think? I was told I do not need to change the throwout bearing, thoughts on that as well. Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Change the throwout bearing for 1 - It is cheap compared to everything else and you don't want to worry about removing everything later just to get to it if something goes wrong

Just buy some regular old dexron 3 ATF or pennzoil syncromesh ATF to be safe - Stay away from synthetics because your transmission may blow soon after if you do

4 to 4.5 qts - ATF
Old 01-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Launching!

to the top
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

If your car is a 99, you may want to upgrade to the new hydrolics. Your just looking at problems down the road if you dont. Get a new master cylinder from GM and a new slave from GM online. The GM slave assembly should come with a new throwout bearing. Also for tranny fluid, I like the Pennzoil Synchromesh (found at most parts stores) and its safe for your transmission. DEX III always works though. Just don't go synthetic with those blocker rings.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TwistedSS
If your car is a 99, you may want to upgrade to the new hydrolics. Your just looking at problems down the road if you dont. Get a new master cylinder from GM and a new slave from GM online. The GM slave assembly should come with a new throwout bearing. Also for tranny fluid, I like the Pennzoil Synchromesh (found at most parts stores) and its safe for your transmission. DEX III always works though. Just don't go synthetic with those blocker rings.
Oh yeah, definitely upgraded the hydrolics, already purchased the New Master and Slave. I thought that the syncromesh fluids were part synthetic or something? I'll probably just end up going with DEX III just to be safe anyway.