Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how things work

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how things work

Ive seen threads floating around every once in a while with words like stroker, bored, sleeved, small block/big block, rotating assembly, forged internals, bottom end etc... I was just curious as to what all these exactly are. I mean, i know how an engine works but below the pisons i suppose i am in the dark. I guess my questions are "whats the difference between engine displacements (402, 408, etc..) do they just have bigger cylinders (as in the slots where the pistons reside). What is a stroker exactly? Any links that diagram an engine fully? I am by no means a mechanic but i would love to learn. MAybe this will clear up a lot of confusion amongst many of us noobs.. What about the difference between a small block and a big block.. Are the distances between things greater (as in cylender walls and stuff are thicker and thus results in a bigger block with the same displacement). How is an engine balanced? I see blocks and engines and things of that sort for sale on the sponsor sites... can anyone simply buy a fully assembled engine and slap it in the car and have it work work (minus fittment and computer issues)? I thought there were more steps and materials required (other than exhaust, intake, heads and cam). Ive been lurking for a while and i guess these questions are too broad for a search (and there aernt any stickies). Any help with these questiosn would be amazing. Ive wondered these things for so long but just never asked. Thanks guys. I know there are a lot of questions.. but yeah, any help is great
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe these will help you
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by delinquent543
Ive seen threads floating around every once in a while with words like stroker, bored, sleeved, small block/big block, rotating assembly, forged internals, bottom end etc... I was just curious as to what all these exactly are. I mean, i know how an engine works but below the pisons i suppose i am in the dark. I guess my questions are "whats the difference between engine displacements (402, 408, etc..) do they just have bigger cylinders (as in the slots where the pistons reside). What is a stroker exactly? Any links that diagram an engine fully? I am by no means a mechanic but i would love to learn. MAybe this will clear up a lot of confusion amongst many of us noobs.. What about the difference between a small block and a big block.. Are the distances between things greater (as in cylender walls and stuff are thicker and thus results in a bigger block with the same displacement). How is an engine balanced? I see blocks and engines and things of that sort for sale on the sponsor sites... can anyone simply buy a fully assembled engine and slap it in the car and have it work work (minus fittment and computer issues)? I thought there were more steps and materials required (other than exhaust, intake, heads and cam). Ive been lurking for a while and i guess these questions are too broad for a search (and there aernt any stickies). Any help with these questiosn would be amazing. Ive wondered these things for so long but just never asked. Thanks guys. I know there are a lot of questions.. but yeah, any help is great

stroker- an engine that has an aftermarket crankshaft that makes the pistons move up and down farther than the original crankshaft. this increases compression on the air and fuel and increases displacement for that air and fuel to reside. "the engine has an increased stroke, its stroker"

bored- an engine that is bored has had its cylinders machined so they are wider. wider=more displacement for the air and fuel. more displacement= more cubic inches = more power

sleeved- the LS series of engine (LS1, LS6, LS7, etc.) blocks are made of a shitty kind of aluminum. the combustion process would destroy the metal the blocks are made of, so the engine cylinders have "sleeves" or tubes placed inside them to protect the block from the combustion process. this is good because its cheaper. the only part of the block that needs to resist being eaten by fire are the cylinder bores. these sleeves kinda suck if you want to bore the engine, because the engine needs new, wider sleeves to be bored more than .010", commonly known as "10 over", or 10 overbore.

big block small block- GM typically makes 2 kinds of v8s, big block and small block. they are two different casts for pouring metal into. small blocks displacement is smaller than big blocks, but their displacements can be the same in the higher displacements of the SB and the lower displacements of the BB. SB ranges from 263cubic inches to 454 CI. the BB ranges from 366 up to over 600, it all depends on how much the engine is bored and stroked.

rotating assembly- this includes the crankshaft, connecting rods(connect pistons to crank), and pistons. this is the assembly that rotates around in a circle.

forged internals- same as a forged rotating assembly. the pistons rods and crank are made of forged steel or billet or aluminum.

bottom end- rotating assembly.

hope this helps
Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so simple.. lol. That clear up so much
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been there. it seems so confusing you dont even know what questions to ask, lol.