PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need tune to add a 2 bar MAP sensor? also bad tune better then no tune (please read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need tune to add a 2 bar MAP sensor? also bad tune better then no tune (please read)

if i change my MAP sensor to a 2bar do i need to tune for it? like if i put in new injectors?

also i dont want to drive my turbo car around with no tune at all in case i "god-forbid" get into boost like if i need to give it alot of gas for somereason. so would it be worht it to put my friends 2bar SD tune for 15 pounds of boost into my car so at least the car will know what to do if it sees postive manifold pressure? because its his speed density tune wont it atuomaticly adjust for wtvr psi it sees (like my 8 versus his 15?)
Old 01-12-2007, 06:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both MAP sensors have a 0-5v output. On the 1 bar ~

0v = 0kPa
5v = 100kPa

but on the 2 bar ~

0v = 0kPa
5v = 200kPa

So, the answer is 'Yes', you need to tune for it. Otherwise, the PCM will 'think' it is somewhere else in the table. i.e. all of the tables that use MAP as a lookup value will be looking at the table at MAP value X, but the engine will be operating at MAP value Y.

It is always dangerous to just blindly stick a tune in. If your engine is brand new and the tune is too rich, you could adversely affect the rings and ring seal. On the other hand, if it is not tuned properly and goes to lean, well that wouldn't be good.

Last edited by ChrisS@sdpc; 01-12-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John-SDPC
Both MAP sensors have a 0-5v output. On the 1 bar ~

0v = 0kPa
5v = 100kPa

but on the 2 bar ~

0v = 0kPa
5v = 200kPa

So, the answer is 'Yes', you need to tune for it. Otherwise, the PCM will 'think' it is somewhere else in the table.

It is always dangerous to just blindly stick a tune in. If your engine is brand new and the tune is too rich, you could adversely affect the rings and ring seal. On the other hand, if it is not tuned properly and goes to lean, well that wouldn't be good.
yup, you'd need a tune and without using a custom operating system it would need alot of tuning
Old 01-12-2007, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't drive it around at ALL on a factory tune with 60lb injectors; you'll wash the cylinders. Don't even start it with those in there if no changes have been made....
Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
You can't drive it around at ALL on a factory tune with 60lb injectors; you'll wash the cylinders. Don't even start it with those in there if no changes have been made....
ive already tuned for the 60 pound injectors. so thats fine.

the question is, is it better to put my friends tune in so that if it does see boost the engine will at least go rich, because without a tune at all and it sees boost it will probaly burn the cylinders bad by being so lean
Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing is a big issue, especially if you are on a stock bottom. If you managed to get those 60s tuned in well, you shouldn't have a huge problem with getting it dialed in well enough to move around in. Fuel up; timing down.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
Timing is a big issue, especially if you are on a stock bottom. If you managed to get those 60s tuned in well, you shouldn't have a huge problem with getting it dialed in well enough to move around in. Fuel up; timing down.
ya ive been driving it on a stock tune with the 60pounds for a while. so if i just tune it to run rich and pull alot of timing i will be fine in case i see boost? until i can get a real tune? so technically all i need to adjust are the wide open tables or do other things need to be changed?

it sucks i dont know alot about tuning. i wish there was someone who could explain it to me!

Quick Reply: need tune to add a 2 bar MAP sensor? also bad tune better then no tune (please read)