Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 w/ Z-bar ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 w/ Z-bar ???

i was wondering if anyone had ever tried to install a T56 into a classic using the original z-bar mechanical clutch instead of the modern hydraulics?
any tips or opinions why it would or wouldn't work?

-Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the hardware exists to do such a swap, and the throw-out might be on the wrong side on some T56'es. Its so simple to buy the complete bled slave and master assembly as a unit, plug and play
Old 01-23-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the project in question is being built up as a show/cruiser. my thought is that it would be far easier to make a small pushrod and a z-bar vanish with some fancy lookin home made headers, than to try hiding the clutch master and hydraulic lines mounted high on the firewall.
i was told that there is an article about using an LS1 T56 with a mechanical clutch, but i can't seem to track it down. anyone know what i am talking about or where i may be able to find such information?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. you should be able to use a LT1 T56, which is more conventional that a LS1 T56.. I has a older style Clutch setup but also used Hyd.. but no reason you can not setup with a bell housing that uses a Z-Bar setup.. mabye using a McLeod Bell Housing would ease the pain some.. it can be setup for both LT1 and LS1 T56's. and also using both Z-Bar and Hyd forks Throw Out Bearing.. I don't know to much about it.. but it seem to be do all setup.. 93-97 f-Body setup...

Quick Reply: T56 w/ Z-bar ???