Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Rims for the Mongoose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rims for the Mongoose?

Trying to figure out what rims to go for on my '99 SS now that her paint and body is done. I was set on the HRE 545R's, and just saw the weight per wheel. Given that I noticed a difference in my car going from the ZR1's to the 10-spokes temporarily, I'd really rather not add a ton of rotational weight, especially when I'd like to have 315's on the back.

In looking around, it seems like most people don't run the Y2K C5's anymore. Is there a reason? It looks like they're very light compared to most rims.

Do we have a sponsor that sells 17x11 Y2K C5's?

What about a sponsor that handles HRE's?

The FM5's aren't bad either, but seem to be fairly common.

Here's what she looks like right now...

I'd put up pictures of what the other options would look like, but I'm not one of the Pshop guru's.

Tom
Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Launching!

nice looking car you have there! As far as y2k I do not believe anyone makes a 17x11 size in that wheel. also pretty much any 17x11 w/ 315 combo is going to weigh a good bit more than a stock 17x9 w/ 275 combo, just gotta sacrifice a bit for the look. I dont think you can go wrong with Fikse IMO, even if they are somewhat common it is because they look great on an fbody IMO. you can also get them built to any specs you want so they will fit your car perfect. Probably can do the same with HRE but im not sure about that. HRE are really nice looking wheels albeit a bit heavy as you stated and quite $$$. Not TOO many fbodys that I have seen with HRE so if your looking to be a bit different have at it.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response. I'm not worried about the weight difference between the 275 and the 315. That's an expected hit I'll have to take. But No sense in adding 10+ pounds in rotational weight per corner if I can help it. Cost isn't an issue, but availability sure could be. :p

After looking around some more, I'm also considering the CCW SP500's.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

have you looked into bogart road racing wheels? they have a couple very nice styles in that line that are pretty light weight but are supposedly strong enough to daily drive. plus they are MUCH cheaper than HRE wheels.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:26 AM
Launching!

yeah i really like the CCW sp500, the 505 is also a great looking wheel. Very similiar to the sp500 is the iforged Aero which looks killer IMO as well. really can't go wrong with any of the wheels you're looking at, all will look sick! I've also heard that CCW has great customer service, and the turn around time is really quick considering it is a custom built to order wheel made specifically for you, so availability will not be an issue.

Last edited by 97blackz28; 01-21-2007 at 07:17 AM.