Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding sound during acceleration...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding sound during acceleration...HELP!

I was going through a conveyor-driven car wash a few weeks ago and right at the end the car must have gotten stuck on something so I went ahead and put it into 1st and proceeded to pull out of the wash. In order to do so the car had to ride over a large hump. Ever since I did this Ive been having a very annoying grinding/knocking noise coming from what feels like the other side of the firewall/near the hydraulics; could possibly be coming from the clutch...? Either way the grinding noise is consistent while Im accelerating in low, low RPM's...typically in 1st but occasionally grinds/knocks while in heavy acceleration through higher gears (6 speed).

Any idea what I did? Ive been under the car and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Could something have been knocked loose with the clutch/flywheel?

Please help!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like an exhaust issue.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Even though Im only having the problem through shifts?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Sounds like.......a bad transmission input shaft bearing.....just had it happen to my M6....and that is a perfect description....had, though, nothing to do with a car wash.......
Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to look more closely under the car. On acceleration the engine twists clockwise (facing forward). The left side exhaust rides up, and the tailshaft of the transmission also rides up. Check in those areas for noises on acceleration. Items succeptable to getting knocked out of position are the exhaust, heat shields., the drive shaft safety crossmember behind the transmission mount crossmember, and the plate in front of the flywheel.

Check around closely and you'll find it.

Quick Reply: grinding sound during acceleration...HELP!