Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

is my clutch dead???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my clutch dead???

First it seemed like my throwout bearing was jacked up, the car kept making whining noises when i shifted.
Then it starting making a ticking noise when i would push the clutch in, it sounded like a damn woodpecker.
Then yesterday the clutch would get real low but still shift and i was gonna get it checked out but today i find that the clutch gets even lower to where i cant shift into any gear at all.
whats wrong with it??
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Launching!

It sounds like your slave cylinder may be leaking. Mine is currently doin similar things and from what I've been told by a few F-body owners the slave cylinders go bad failry often of the cars. Check your fluid level and if its low refill it, start the car in neutral and pump the clutch quickly 5 to 10 times all the way to the floor to bring the clutch back up. You need to get the slave cylinder replaced though if thats the case

GOODLUCK with it.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

i know this is a noob question but where do you check the clutch fluid?
Old 01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Launching!

okay toward the back of your engine compartment on the drivers side are two small tanks. The larger of the two wich is bolted directly to the firewall is the master cylinder for the brakes. Right beside it is a smaller container. Thats the slave cylinder cap. The fluid in it should be very close to the top if its full. If not refill it with DOT 3 brake fluid. Make sure you use DOT 3. While your at it you might as well check the other container beside it to see if its full. Go ahead and use the same stuff because both use DOT 3 Brake fluid.

GOODLUCK
Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Launching!

And don't worry about it I'm probally more of a noob than you are I just got my Formula about two weeks ago. I just know a little bit about them cause I've helped friends that have them.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

I'm having sort of the same problem . My clutch keeps changing heights on me...its usually only after i have the clutch held in for a while. I thought it was the fluid. Checked it and it was fine...but is it normal to have a hole on the cap? And the little rubber piece doesn't hold onto the cap well....i have to hold it placing the cap back on making sure it doesn't fall off. So my question is: do u think air is getting into the system cause of the hole and rubber piece moving around? Or do you think its something else? Hope I can get this fixed soon cause it sucks taking off from a light about to race someone and almost bogging it thanks to the clutch changing heights.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Launching!

NONAME024 It sounds like you may have an air bubble in your slave cylinder try pumping your clutch several times quickly and recheck your fluid level. There may be a bubble down in the cylinder thats trapped and I don't think there's supposed to be a hole in the cap but I may be wrong. I don't have my car right now so I can't check mine. Sorry I couldn't be too much help.
Hope you figure it out.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick reply. I was suspecting that there maybe air in there. I'll give it a try and see if it goes down.

Anyone else have a hole in their cap?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

filled the fluid and pumped the clutch and nothing...
Old 01-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Launching!

Sorry bro, I'm not real sure what it may be then. It could just be a bad slave cylinder or bad lines. I know on some of the F-Bodies the rubber lines would expand causing the pressure to drop, but that may not be the case. I'd just take it in to be checked.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

should be able to get that diagnosed at a shop for cheap, then maybe do repairs yourself

Quick Reply: is my clutch dead???