Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turtle-wax polish/swirl remover (my experience)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turtle-wax polish/swirl remover (my experience)

It did absolutely nothing for me. I would not recommend this product unless you like black bottles and have a place on a shelf that due to some mental deficiency you deem necessary to keep full at all times. I have not looked in the car in the daylight but I DID take a flashlight to it and I couldnt see any difference in swirl or lack of swirl marks.

JMHO, but I dont like the stuff, it did nothing. Then again, I used my hand/microfiber applicator, not a buffer, you bastards have scared me away from buffers with your funnys.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are only ever good for LIGHT swirls (the kind you can only see from refractions in direct light) because it has to fill in the scratch with product.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a previous blue car I used to use a similar product from Turtle Wax that was blue liquid wax and came with a 'chip stick' or basically a blue crayon to fill in scratches. It seemed to work well but now that I'm into detailing and actually understand what certain products do and what I can do with them, I wouldn't buy anything like it again.

I was afraid to use my orbital buffer the first time too but you shouldn't be. It would ease your mind to practice on another vehicle though.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
On a previous blue car I used to use a similar product from Turtle Wax that was blue liquid wax and came with a 'chip stick' or basically a blue crayon to fill in scratches. It seemed to work well but now that I'm into detailing and actually understand what certain products do and what I can do with them, I wouldn't buy anything like it again.

I was afraid to use my orbital buffer the first time too but you shouldn't be. It would ease your mind to practice on another vehicle though.
Where do you live?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Thats why you dont use turtle wax products..... I only use meguires, Ive been working at an autoparts store for three years and meguires is pretty much the best thats out their and turtle wax is garbage compared to it
Old 01-27-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed. Turtle Wax is pure ****. I've never had good luck with their product. I was recently using their wheel cleaner... terrible. I had to scrub the wheels by hand even thought it said "Spray on, rinse off!". I bought Meguiar's wheel cleaner and used that two days ago. I sprayed it on, rinsed it off... and the **** actually came off!

I avoid Turtle Wax at all costs at this point.

BTW, 3M has a rubbing compound specifically for swirl marks and light scratches. Try that. I saw it in the automotive paint aisle in Wal-Mart and assume you can get it just about anywhere that deals in auto paint. I've heard good things about it as a polish. It's about $5/bottle.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 444 Likes on 355 Posts

I use 3M hand glaze. Costs $23 a quart but it's well worth it. It removes 98% of the scratches in your paint caused by drive through car washes, etc. Just make sure to never take your car through a drive through wash again!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I use 3M hand glaze. Costs $23 a quart but it's well worth it. It removes 98% of the scratches in your paint caused by drive through car washes, etc. Just make sure to never take your car through a drive through wash again!

Where do I procure this? How is it applied?
Old 01-27-2007, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 444 Likes on 355 Posts

Any auto parts store worth it's salt can get it. Basically, you just use a diaper (polishing cloth) to apply it to the surface, let it dry to a haze, then buff it off with a clean, dry terry cloth towel until it shines. If you have really bad scratches, you'll need to get some 3M foam pad polishing compound for dark colors and get a polisher and a foam pad backer/foam pads. That will cost you about $75 without the polisher. I used the foam pad compound on my car and I was AMAZED at how the paint looked afterward. One word of caution though - The foam pad compound can burn through your paint if you hit an edge, so keep it centered on the panels you are doing. I screwed up once and burned through my door moulding in a split second. You use the foam pad compound first, then the hand glaze, then I use meguiar's wax to finish it off. Looks spectacular. If you don't have any deep scratches, however, just hand glaze and wax will really brighten up your paint job.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Banned

No deep scratches, just looks bad in the sun up close at certain angles. THANKS!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 PM
NKAWTG...N

Appearance section we go!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

theres the industrial (i think) black round bottle of 3M polishing compound. its used in steps though. because you have the the 3M rubbing compound as #1 and the polish compound as #2. i just bought a bottle of the polish compound at the auto salvage shop next door to my job. the paint looks brand new now. took all my swirl marks off and some light scratches.

theres a dust repellant that goes on after the polish/wax, i forgot the name right now but it works great. especially for me where if i dust the car 2 hrs later its caoted in it again.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

i havent had any good experiences with turtle wax products either. i had some turtle wax color cure that was a bitch to buff off, im stickin with maguires gold class now
Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Most consumer grade products suck anyway. Get 3M rubbing compound (just the cheap 8 oz. $5 bottle from Wal-Mart) applied with a Porter Cable 7424 did wonders on my hood.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

yea dude never use turtle wax worst product out there, go with maguires; worth the money
Old 01-28-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same as scratchx, I didn't notice anything
Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

scratch X worked great for me...alot of the prob with these products is that people dont use them right....you apply it and rub hard for a minute then wipe it right back off befor it drys...alot of people put it on and let it dry and wipe it off, which wont work...

EDIT: oh BTW, yea turtle wax does suck

Last edited by SVThis; 01-29-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel you guys pain. I recently waxed my car with turtle wax. The stuff just wouldn't dry.Finally had to rewax just to get the slime off. Do yourself a favor and stick with mothers or maguiers.