Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Blocking Ring Function

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blocking Ring Function

Reading a book on manual trannies and there is a statement that the blocking rings either increase or decrease friction to match the speeds of the counter & mainshaft.

I can see that if you were to upshift, you would need to keep the mainshaft at the same speed and speed down the countershaft - you could increase the friction for this. Is this correct?

But if you are downshifting, you would need to speed up the countershaft, so when you slide the blocking ring over it, how do you speed it up via less friction when before you slid the blocking ring there was no friction?

Please leave using the engine to speed up the countershaft out of the discussion b/c I want to focus only on synchros.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about "increase or decrease friction". The blocking rings add friction between the gear and the mainshaft until they're turning at the same speed, kind of like a little clutch. The only difference between upshifting and downshifting is the direction the friction is applied (think clockwise or counterclockwise). The friction accelerates the countershaft when the mainshaft is spinning faster and decelerates it when the mainshaft is spinning slower.

Just think about what happens to your engine rpms when you engage the clutch as an analogy. The countershaft is like the engine and the blocking rings are like the clutch. If your engine was turning too slow for that gear, the engine revs up when friction is added, if it was turning too fast, it revs down.

Quick Reply: Blocking Ring Function