Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stick with FI build (TT Z28) or go with a 02-04 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick with FI build (TT Z28) or go with a 02-04 Z06?

Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a while because I am in Japan and won't be back in the states until 09'. You may or may not remember my build (99' Z28 with HPE 398, built T56, textralia clutch, CAS TT modified kit with T04E inlet and P trim exhaust, Megasquirt fuel ECU, ignition stock PCM, 96lb injectors, WB02, dual intank pumps, etc) but i eventually got it running and drove it to the government storage facility where it sits now (it gets run by the staff at the facility once in a while so it isn't just sitting). My plans are to finish the car but since i have some free time I was tallying up the cost of completion and came up with a list of things(see below) i need to do to finish the car as well as make it safe. I want to mainly make it a road racing car but i got to thinking......why not just get a vette (thinking 02-04 z06) which will be setup much better for road racing and down the line make it go faster later but on a less drastic scale (like an APS TT system, Procharger setup, H/C, etc). I know my car is capable of 800+ RWHP just on the setup that i have right now but who cares when it is going to cost probably $20k to get it where i want it? When i come out of Japan I will most likely be going to electrical engineering school fulltime and won't have a regular fulltime job that can pay for the car i am building. Don't get me wrong i have money saved and will have more than enough saved to finish the car when i come home I just don't think it would be worth it for what I want to achieve out of the car. Plus, i can just see all of the things that start breaking at the power levels i want to make. I can't even begin to imagine what I could ask for my car since it is a build in progress. I would hope somewhere close to $20k but that is probably pushing it.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? I see Z06's go from 25-30k and i can only imagine they would be going for less in the summer of 09'. I probably have a good $35k invested into the car at this point and another $20k seems like an idiotic decision for a camaro.

Greg

What has to happen:

9" rear -2,000-3000 (billingsley?)
Front brake upgrade - 2000-4000
Tranny cross member
Suspension for street racing(lca's,torque arm,coil overs,panhard bar,sway bar)
heavy duty drive shaft
fuel tank with sump
fuel pump
roll cage
SFI bellhousing or tranny blanket
oil dipstick that is accessible from top of engine(current one is not)
repair drivers manifold(crack at cylinder 7, simple fix)
valve covers that clear lifters
stand alone ignition(not necessary but probably would be better than using HPT)
Reroute Pass. turbo intake for filter
crankcase evac setup (either through exhaust or intake)
Tune
remount wastegates
redo exhaust
Wheel studs
redo subframe connectors
new tires all around
power steering cooler
drive shaft loop
body stiffening
redo oil return from turbos
install windshield washer fluid resivoir and pump
replace LC1 wide band controller
get 4 bar MAP sensor for MS
get USB adapter for MS
charge AC system
SFI racing seats
racing power steering pump
windshield replacement (small spider crack in the center)

Cosmetic:
repair quarter panel (friend accidently pushed into a concrete wall while i was away at school)
new hood
wheels with 325's out back (mini tub or shortened rear)
touch up paint all around
SS spoiler
Paint engine bay
paint Spindles
new carpet
road noise reduction
redo tint

Freebees:

Redo wiring
mount coil packs so plug wires can be ran easier or in their stock positions

Stereo/electronics
Head unit (with DVD in dash)
sub in the corner of trunk
remote starter
shift light
tach
Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats a hard choice my friend, i love corvettes but i also love the camaro that you've built

goodluck
Old 01-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id get the Vette.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with countryboy. I just bought an incon kit for my car, was going to go all out with it like you are planning. But, I have decided just to bolt the incons on for a year or so, then sell the whole thing for a vette.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,226 Likes on 782 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

02-04 Z06 is a great car, I have one. But I would not ditch your project for any ol' C5, just a Z06... heck buy mine and then I'll get something else.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
02-04 Z06 is a great car, I have one. But I would not ditch your project for any ol' C5, just a Z06... heck buy mine and then I'll get something else.

I'd surely consider buying yours. Maybe you would consider taking my camaro

Any other thoughts? Any wanna buy my car?

Greg
Old 02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

So the tables have turned. I am going to a military school in March and I am trying to get my car out of storage to try and sell it. I will be staying in Georgia for about 3 months and then off the Philly for a few weeks to visit the family. If i get the car out of storage this is what I plan to do:

Repair qrtr panel dent
try and find an SS hood
repair cracked header
Find a 12 bolt or 9 inch
torque arm and body mount
redo oil return for driver's turbo
redo pass turbo air inlet

tune
replace bad LC1 wideband

Are there any well known shops that are familiar with FI and high HP in the Augusta, GA area? I would like to get the car worked on at a shop and have it done right so I can sell the car. I believe I would be able to sell the car at a better price if it was making 800+ to wheels on race gas and 600+ on pump. Right now it is probably in the mid 400 range trying to keep it conservative for my lack of experience tuning and being a new engine, new tranny, new turbos, etc. Does anyone have a shop that they recommend? I am willing to drive if it's within a reasonable distance and leave it there for a little while to get worked on. I would prefer an all in one shop (fab, body work, tuning, general maintenance, etc)

The only issue I see is that I am using a hybrid setup- HPtuners for the timing and other features and Megasquirt for the fueling (96lb low z injectors). Most people haven't messed with MS (it really is easy figuring if i started the car on the first try and got it tuned for driving in relatively no time). To me it shouldn't pose a problem because one can use SD tuning with HP tuners to get the timing right (nice and conservative for safeties sake) and use the MS for realtime tuning.

So what do you guys think? Do think the work I want done can be completed in 2 months or less?

If anyone is interested in the car you can PM me as well. Especially if you have an 02+ Z06 to do a trade or partial trade.

Greg

Quick Reply: Stick with FI build (TT Z28) or go with a 02-04 Z06?