Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/Milling heads combo question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam/Milling heads combo question...

I'll be running a lunati voodoo cam (specs in sig below) with Dual valve springs, titanium retainers, and chromoly pushrods.

I have a set of BRAND NEW 241 heads.

How do I do the clay test, and even then based on the cam specs below, what's the most and SAFEST that I can have my heads milled to?

In other words, when I do this clay test, what am I looking for to know what the MOST I can mill these heads is?

Thanks you guys are great!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

ttt!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:47 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JLSain
I'll be running a lunati voodoo cam (specs in sig below) with Dual valve springs, titanium retainers, and chromoly pushrods.

How do I do the clay test, and even then based on the cam specs below, what's the most and SAFEST that I can have my heads milled to?

In other words, when I do this clay test, what am I looking for to know what the MOST I can mill these heads is?

check it first, mill later. i would not go past .030 myself.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JLSain

You clay it, them measure the clay with a dial caliper. How thick it is will tell you how much you can mill, keep in mind you want a final PTVC of .8 intake/.1 exhaust. So if you clay with a .050 gasket and you know you are going to use a .040 on final assembly and you measure the clay and your thinnest part of the clay is .156 you can mill 1.56 (clay) - .010(gasket difference) - .1 (ptvc) = .046 (amount you can safely mill)