Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The big question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The big question.

I have a basically stock 98 trans am .. its running 13.2 and i have a k&n cool air filter, ram air custom , and a borla catback stainless steel. I am getting headers next . and getting it tuned. hoping to run mid 12's after all of my tuning and replacing of wires and headers. Here is the question. I want either a turbo or supercharger, and i have been looking into getting one since i bought my car. but i want one that i have to do nothing to my engine for. and is fairly cheap . Giving off about 4-6 lbs of boost . not too much but enough. Can anyone lead me in the right direction of one that actually works. I found a sts turbo that says you only have to change fuel setup -845 $ but my uncle told me he had to get custom headers and crap also . Thanks for reading and the help.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is your budget?? If you're going with turbo don't buy the headers and spend that money on the hot parts...There are several used ones in the For Sale section... If you go with SC go with either Procharger or Vortech...Honestly sink money where it needs to go... Fuel is a must... You're going to get the itch once you feel 5lbs and want to up it... Get ready for an engine =)
Old 01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can keep your new headers,just wrap the new y-pipe,5 pounds is fine atleast get the fmic and also upgrade the fuel system.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He hasn't purchased the new headers yet... I'm saying at this level they really aren't necessary or he could actually get a front mount instead of doing the same thing twice...
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although headers would help, they are not the best return on investment for starting out. Spend the money on a fuel system instead, 255 lph pump and injectors. Also wires and plugs. And wrap the exhaust system, as suggested before. And at 5-6 psi, an intercooler is not required.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Wrap the exhaust? You mean with the Thermal wrap ? Im just getting into cars. But yes i was going to redo my whole fuel and the injectors arent too much . im doing everything one step at a time. I just wanted to stay with 5 lbs for at least a year. I dont want to rebuild the engine until i buy a beater car. Right now this is just my everyday car because everywhere i go is at the most like 10 miles away . so im barely putting any miles on it. So fuel and then just the procharger?