General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need new battery?

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this is really basic for you all, but I'm a hopeless girl with a lot of questions.

I need a new battery I think, my car has been having trouble starting every morning this week and the time on my radio keeps resetting to 1:00. This morning my car wouldn't even start, it just starting clicking when I turned the key all the way. I also just had a knock sensor replaced and my computer was acting a little crazy one morning (a couple different lights came on ) but then stopped.

If it sounds like a battery issue is there a specific one for a 2002 Ws6 you would recommend, it has 40,000 miles. I want the best for my car.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it the original Delco? Many have been replacing theirs with the Optima Red Top or the Yellow if you have a high powered stereo set up. I have the Red top and am very happy with it. Another possibility is the Alt. If you have a fairly new battery it could be that since the voltage reg. is inside the Alt. I just replaced my Alt. but i have 93k on the car. I would say its the battery. Red tops go for about 150 or so. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Optima Red Top here. Had it for almost three years with no issues up until a couple of weeks ago when a cell went bad in mine. Took it to Sears and they replaced it free of charge.

Optima has a 3yr free replacement warranty and covers the battery for 72 months total. After the 36 months they prorate the coverage. They are pricey, but worth it in my eyes.

Otherwise if cost is a decision just go with an good replacement, but be forewarned. The company that makes the GM battery makes most of the other brands batteries and they tend to have the same issue with the side terminal posts pulling out of the battery and leaking acid into the engine compartment.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have AC Delco Professional batteries in all my GM cars. Never had one leak, they usually last 5-7 years.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many good companies out there, I do not know who makes Walmart's brand battiers, I forget off hand but I bought them for my LT1 cam, had the best rated CCA and never an issue in cold *** connecticut. My T/A is 5 years old, never an issue either. I just recently started her up in 20 degree weather. Cranked strong.