Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Used Ring/Pinion Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Ring/Pinion Set Up

Can a used US Gear 3.42 ring and pinion in a 12 bolt strange rear be set up and still remain quiet? I bought a used rear and installed all new bearings and seals and was going to reuse the ring and pinion it came with. The gears look fine with no signs of wear. Can this be set up and be quiet or will a new ring/pinion be needed? Any advise on setting up used gears would help. Approx backlash best for used gears, Looser, Tighter, etc.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the gears were quiet beforehand and are installed correctly into your rear, they should be quiet.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tech at the dealer is helping me but said the gears look good but did not hear the rear in use. I dont know if it was quiet or not. The tech has been having some trouble getting the pattern right. I know new gears wont solve any set up issues but I wonder if it would be a better bet for a quiet install vs used? Thanks for the help Kelly.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used gears have a wear pattern, if you dont set it up exactly to what it was before you run the risk of noise.

You could always just buy a set of gears if noise is an issue, you stand a better chance of having none.