Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12-bolt With Richmond Powertrax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12-bolt With Richmond Powertrax?

OK guys, is this possible to have, first of all, and who sells them with this option? Or any "easy locker" style differential.

I want to find a rearend distributor that offers a new 12-bolt with a Richmond Powertrax rather than having to run the EATON Posi, which I refuse to do.

I love the ability to order a rearend through the mail, put my brakes on it, bolt it in, and drive away. That is why I am seeking one that has the Powertrax as an option. After many different failed plans to go with a Dana 60, it's just not cost effective enough for me, and I am too slow to require a rear that can hold an 8 and 9 second car. The 12-bolt is simple and will hold me into the 10s and not flinch. The only problems I ever have really heard with them were the EATON units burning up, and I have heard nothing but good things about easy locker style differential units.

Thanks guys!

Looking to buy one around March or April, but may do this sooner if my stock 10-bolt breaks haha.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
14 Second Truck Club

The powertrax are not good for high performance applications. You are putting all that power through a stock style open diff case. The housing and overall design of the rear will hold you into the 10's, but that diff and open case will not. They are designed to be easy to instal into open diff vehicles (no need to mess with backlash, etc), and to be cheap, not to be very strong. Im not saying they are complete junk, just saying it isnt designed for all out drag performance.
You would be much better off with a true trac or even an eaton.
Im sure somebody can and will build it for you, but I wouldnt reccomend it.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
The powertrax are not good for high performance applications. You are putting all that power through a stock style open diff case. The housing and overall design of the rear will hold you into the 10's, but that diff and open case will not. They are designed to be easy to instal into open diff vehicles (no need to mess with backlash, etc), and to be cheap, not to be very strong. Im not saying they are complete junk, just saying it isnt designed for all out drag performance.
You would be much better off with a true trac or even an eaton.
Im sure somebody can and will build it for you, but I wouldnt reccomend it.
Well thanks for the information. I have no idea what to expect from it, I just thought it was a quiet locker. I see that Moser makes rears with True Trac rears, so I may look into that.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D60 with tru track. cheaper and stronger than a 12 bolt. no real life loss in performance or power. if you have the big budget, you can go with 9" with light center section.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
D60 with tru track. cheaper and stronger than a 12 bolt. no real life loss in performance or power. if you have the big budget, you can go with 9" with light center section.
Plus the cost of a new driveshaft, and I want to keep the ABS. I want to order something that requires the least amount of modification to the car, or work to get in. If it can be done the way you said, and cheaper, then hell yeah I will do it! I just need to keep the ABS and need to have a non spool or posi rear. You know the car John, and you know how much it's on the street. After everyone breaking posi units, I wont do an EATON.

Not a big budget, I am looking to spend no more than $2500 is I can get away with that.