Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPT, enabling high resolution rear speed signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Default HPT, enabling high resolution rear speed signal

I am using an 01 pcm in my 96 s-10 that I am working on building. The abs uses a high resolution rear speed signal from the pcm to tell it the rear wheel speed. An 99-04 ls truck uses this same signal. However, I am going to run an 02 f-body vin for the a/c and fan operation. With HPT can I tell the pcm to enable this output for the abs. It is c2 pin 52 on the fullsize trucks and since the pcms are the same I assume it is a matter of turning it on?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs

I have a 96 Blazer and am wanting to go with a smaller ABS box and control module. I'd like to mount my 2005 5.3 computer and fusebox where the big abs box is now. I'm going to have to do somethng similar I think as what you're talking about. Haven't researched it though.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I already converted mine to the newer smaller abs unit with the divorced proportioning valve and new style master and booster. The brakes are much better than when it was new. I had a hydroboost unit off of an astro van on it for the last eight years but the pedal was about 1.5" higher and it got annoying. Since I started daily driving it agin it was driving me up a wall and prompted the change. The only downside to the newer abs is that you lose the abs service and brake light bc on the newer units they are turned on using the class to data bus and the cluster interprets it and then turns them on as needed.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Does anyone have a clue or mind looking in their hpt information for me please
Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd pm the Hptuners guy on here, I'm sure he'd see you're message then. I forget his sig though. What ABS unit did you use in yours. Also, did you have to use a seperate module or did you use the 96 pcm for this.Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Nah my truck is kinda goofy. I bought it new in 96 with a 2.2. When it had 3500 miles on it I located a brand new rolled over fullsize in a yard we do business with and swapped it to a 4.3 now I'm going 5.3. But to answer your question my truck used the kelsey unit that is all integrated and just needs the high resolution rear speed signal. It does not have the pcm.vcm controlled abs. When I modified it I went to the newer little matchbox kelsey system that mounts in the corner and uses an external proportioning valve. In 96 only the 2.2's used the standalone abs, in 97 most all v6's and all four cylinders used the standalone. All it needs is the rear speed signal and its happy. When I swapped in the newer one I just cut the plug off the donor truck and pulled up a pinout of both trucks on alldata here at the shop and spliced all of the wires. The only thing I do not have is the amber abs light and the red brake light because those are class 2 databussed signals on the new trucks. I've been contemplating gutting a newer cluster and see if I can fit some or all of the parts in my older truck.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Abs

Wow. Ill have to look into this. My 96 is a 4x4 S10 Blazer. It has the big block unit sits behind the washer bottle. It has an external proportioning valve. What vehicles did the stand alone Kelsey unit come on?