Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for budget motor!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice for budget motor!!!!

Ok guys, before I go on into the story, understand that I am working on somewhat of a tight budget here. I dont mind stretching out this build for the rest of 2007 since I already aquired a new daily driver from my girlfriend. I currently have an 01 ZO6 putting down 390 whp. I already have all supporting bolt on mods on the car minues fast 90/90. I know my piston rings are going bad, and I am also guessing that I am leaking some coolant into the cylinders as I see smoke come out the back of my car at high rpm (and i seem to have to add about a cup of water to the coolant system once every 2 months). So I guess its a relatively small leak, but I do not feel comfortable knowing this is happening. So, I would like to know if there is a company that offers a completely assembled short block (no heads/cam as I will choose which ones I want after) for a fair price? I would prefer it to be all forged. Since I am going to replace the motor, might as well make her damn near bulletproof. I intend to make it a heads/cam motor with the possibility of a small shot of nitrous. I am looking to make at least 500 whp or more. What do you guys suggest? I will probably end up going with the trickflow heads since I will be installing the heads/cam onto the motor outside of the car that way I can just slide it into the car and make the install somewhat faster/easier.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

What do you mean by budget? My budget it 13,000, and some budgets are 2,000. Katechs value 427 short block is $7,400! Some other companies are Motorsport Technologies and HPE. All are sponsors on this site.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

well, I will do the work myself. So figure ~$6000-7000 in parts. I would like to have a forged 383 mostly for a relatively inexpensive price and I will probably throw on a set of trickflow heads and maybe the streetsweeper cam in there. I just want to make a solid reliable ~500 whp and still be able to throw a 150 shot at it. I am aware that assembled trickflow heads are ~$2400 and I am also aware that certain other factors come into play. But like I said earlier, this is going to be a somewhat slow process as I will be spending this money spread out throughout the rest of this year. Kinda tight right now cause I'm turning 22, still go to college full time and work full time.

Last edited by xtremejimmy; 02-12-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sux building a motor while in college. Im in the exact same shoes as you right now.

Anyways, have you checked out Erik Koenig at HKE, thats whose building my motor. Nice guy and verry intelligent. You can also see what TSP has to offer. They have a wide selection of motors also
Old 02-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

do you know if they do builds with the ls6 block (aluminum) and if they can build 383's? Hell, if I can have a company piece together everything I need and get it to me for $6k or less, that would be perfect. Im talking assembled block with heads and cam installed already that way I can just swap it in and sell my old motor to absorb some of the cost.