Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about slp cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about slp cold air intake?

I read that it is not recommended to put the slp cold air intake on the ws6 and SS camaro I have one at home and i already have the lid on it shoudl i not put the metal cold air intake piece in or should I?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

you're a bit confused. most people say that if you add a cai kit to seal off the lid from the airbox with the little rubber seals they give you. that way, the airflow is more direct and should produce more hp than when combined with the air flow from the lid. some people dont do this so it's just a matter of personal preference. fyi, the slp cai is pretty crappy, both the ftra and ssra are better, but seeing as you already have the slp piece, go ahead and install it. it should be worth and extra 5 rwhp or so.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

i just have one question. why is the slp cai gotten such a bad rap? is it just because it does not catch air from the lower part of the radiator or what?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Seal off the air box w/ that rubber piece and install the cai. thats what i did and it works great here. I wish i knew why the slp 1 has gotten such a bad wrap. that is a good question. perhaps, because it is metal and not plastic. some ppl may think i heat soaks but thats not really the case.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:04 AM
Staging Lane

i was just thinking that if its only the fact that it dose not reach all the way down that makes it crappy... id rather have the slp one because i already scrape my air damn guard and im stock height on stock rims.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

so you guys recommend to close off the front of the lid or let both air ducts open?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't think it matters much on a TA, they have a more direct air induction anyways. The SS stock induction sucks though because the air has to travel so far in the hood. When I do an FTRA/SSRA, I'm going to seal off my lid from my SS hood.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

is it worth installing or do you guys think i should just not worry about it
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

why not install it? you already have it. so you can either use it as a paper weight or get an extra 5 hp from it....up to you.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I heard that ws6's should do it cause it opens that whole and defeats the purpose of our ram air or somthing, cause the only way it would work is if it had equal amounts of air pressure coming in from the bottum and through the raim air otherwise your loosing pressure at one of the two or somthing? does this sound correct?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripper415
you're a bit confused. most people say that if you add a cai kit to seal off the lid from the airbox with the little rubber seals they give you. that way, the airflow is more direct and should produce more hp than when combined with the air flow from the lid. some people dont do this so it's just a matter of personal preference. fyi, the slp cai is pretty crappy, both the ftra and ssra are better, but seeing as you already have the slp piece, go ahead and install it. it should be worth and extra 5 rwhp or so.
i have the fast toys and i guess i love. could say i felt a difference from it b/c i installed my supermaxx LTs systems at the same time. if you have a daily driver... the ssra doesn't look safe for the rain if your nose dives into a puddle... just my opinion.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

cant hurt to install it. I like the ssra best
Old 02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Default Info

The SLP kit doesn't work as good because it does not direct air into the intake and it does not seal the airbox very well. They also use a glued on seal that is not removable for driving in the rain etc.

For the best performance with the FTRA, you HAVE to seal up the front of the airbox, regarless of what hood you have. You will get much higher pressure air from the bottom of the car than you will get through the hood which means the air will just bleed out through hood and decrease your performance gain.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
The SLP kit doesn't work as good because it does not direct air into the intake and it does not seal the airbox very well. They also use a glued on seal that is not removable for driving in the rain etc.
by not "directing air into the intake" you mean it dosnt pull it from the bottom of the radiator right?