Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC5 Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SPEC5 Clutch issues

Big Red is finally a 6speed and here is my issue. I have a SPEC5 clutch and everytime I shift gears I hear this screatching noise and when I am in any gear and mash on the gas the ******* clutch slips?? I had the flywheel turned and the clutch has about 1000 or so miles on it. The car it came out of was an 02 Camaro SS with over 1000HP and on the DYNO this clutch was slipping at 650HP. I went so far as to call and send pictures to SPEC and was told to scuff the pressure plate and have the flywheel turned and all would be good. WRONG I am conserned I need a clutch already. I have read in LS1 people having problems out of these clutch's with less than 500 miles and I have 300 HP going to a 1000HP clutch and the damn thing slips. What to do?? I am going to start by calling SPEC once again and asking the question WHY WHY WHY does this clutch slip like this after it was inspected?

Just looking for some advice
Old 02-16-2007, 02:30 AM
11 Second Club

You have 300 HP and a SPEC 5?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

as far as the spec 5 goes, trash it and get something other than the spec 5, i am pushing around 600 to the tires on the gas, i have the slipping issues also and have only a few street passes and track passes with slicks on the clutch and its fried already. i ran a spec 3 for alot of miles on the street and track with slicks and got my moneys worth out of it. as for the spec 5 i did not get my moneys worth from this clutch and had it not been for the spec 3 i had before i could see myself really bashing spec products, but as for myself i will never buy another spec product as the spec 5 was only driven a small amount of miles after the break in period. hope that helps some
Old 02-17-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Did you install the spacer behind the slave cylinder? You mentioned that it came out of another car, did you get all of the correct parts with it? I've got a Spec 3+ and billet flywheel and love it!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Default Spec 5

If you read in other threads most people took the spacer out because it cause major issues with slipping. I have all the parts from SPEC and even sent emails with pictures of what I was installing. So I am not tooo satitsfied with the produce as a whole. Today my friend was in his truck and could hear the slippage in the clutch WTF???

So I am going to drive my truck until it will roll no more.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

... wow. get a twin disc from summit