Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

'01-'02 Slave cylinders.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '01-'02 Slave cylinders.

I was wondering, what's the issues I will have running a '00 Slave cylinder in my car? I have the stock clutch and I will be running the McCloud Clutch line and a Wilwood MC (swap project) so the only thing I'll be running that is stock is the slave cylinder.

I was thinking of waiting until I need to put a clutch in to upgrade to a '01-'02 slave cylinder but before doing so was wondering what advantages the newer ones give.

Also, is there aftermarket slaves that are recommended to be better? I will be using the clutch a lot and most times it will be fast disengages and engages (clutch kicks as some would call it) and that's why I'm wondering if an aftermarket one might be one to look into.

Thanks!

PS - I tried doing a search on this and wasn't able to find info except for what is in the FAQ above but it just said it's better but didn't give info as to what issues the '98-'00's will have. Sounds like maybe they just fail all of a sudden but that's just a guess.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT, anybody?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

hey bro i was looking at your post... well i would go with an 2001 slave cylinder to begin with, the 2001 slave you could find it in thunderracing.com and will run you about 149.99 plus shipping.When replacing your master cylinder on 1998-2000 model F-Bodies, it is recommended that you upgrade to the 2001+ style GM slave cylinder which is an upgraded design. this design is the best advanced model of slave cylinders. the main difference would be the advantage of materials used and form of building.. they hold more pressure take more abuse than the 98-2000 slave.. i myself have bought it and is the best so far... yeah man do that and a mcleod master cylinder would be super great trust me you'll see it will be a little while till your master expands and pressure is lost...
Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Most LS1 clutches on the market utilize the factory master cylinder, which has proven to be the weak link in the hydraulic system. McLeod has developed an adjustable master cylinder, which allows you to move your clutch engagement point up or down in the pedal travel without the use of shims. This also features a larger bore than stock, which improves upper RPM engagement. For F-Bodies (Camaro and Firebird), we also recommend using a slave cylinder from 2001-2002 model F-body, which is a factory improved version over the 1998-2000 models.

Thunder Racing also offers a McLeod master cylinder rebuild service for out of warranty McLeod master cylinders. Using the McLeod master cylinder rebuild kit, you will receive new seals, piston, spring, and boot. Additionally, Thunder Racing will perform the "drill mod," which extends clutch life and improves high RPM shifting. If the reservoir and lines are provided, Thunder Racing will pre-bleed the system before shipping it back to you. This service costs $75.00 labor plus parts. Please contact a Thunder Racing sales rep for more information toll-free at 877.516.RACE.

Quick Reply: '01-'02 Slave cylinders.