General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

question about coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about coolant

My little cousin went to a pep boys for a coolant flush. They told him they cant do it because it may make his "engine blow up". They didn't explain to him why, they just refused to do it.

So I told him that I would show him how to do it. The car is a 2001 Chevy Impala. He said the coolant is dark in color, almost black.

I'm just curious why they wouldn't do the flush, and why dex-cool turned black?

thanks
Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I've seen Dexcool turn a darkish brown color if it's exposed to a lot of air in the coolant system or is very old. But never straight up black though. I hope there's not oil mixed with it. If it really is black in color, I would check the oil and make sure there's no coolant in it. If the two are mixing, then I could see why they might refuse to do the flush. It needs a lot more than a coolant flush if that's the case.

But maybe his color description was just poor. Check it out yourself before you (or him) get worried about it.....
Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, he brought it over to my house last night. It wasn't really black. It was still orange in color, but it was dark. I smelled it, and it smelled like regular dex-cool. I thought the when oil mixes with dex-cool it turns an almost strawberry color?

Anyway, it was too cold by the time he got to my house, so I will try it next weekend