Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powerbond pulley issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerbond pulley issues?

i got a call from my installer and he said he has been having problems with the balancer -

the balancer was being installed by first using a llonger than stock bolt to alighn the balancer on the crankshaft and press the balancer foward about a 1/4 of an inch. than i used the original bolt that came off the car to finish pressing the balancer on the crank to the correct location but halfway on the crank is where the balancer more or less froze and i could not turn the torque wrench any further. I backed the bolt out forcefully and the tip of the bolt was completly torn up and i had to run a tap inside the crank to clean the threads up. this to me seems like the balancer is defective on the machining tolerances. It is much too tight to completly finish pressing onto the cranshaft without damaging the threads. doesnt matter how much force i use the balancer will not move from its location.

any ideas????

Last edited by nomorews6; 02-19-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Mine seated fully the first time with no probs at all.

Know a few other people to have the PB and all is well.
Hopefully its just a bad batch. lol
Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer. You'll probably have to use a helicoil to repair the crank threads. From there you could measure to the tolerance. I don't remember what it's suposed to be but I think it's on the order of 0.001"-0.004" (Check the info sheet that came with it.). That's a tight fit! Also verify that it is the correct part number.

This problem comes up all the time. It sucks, and it's usually not caused by a defective or wrong part.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/391883-new-crank-dampener-installation-tool-pics.html it took some muscle but I got it pressed all the way. I have gone through 2 cam installation withoug a problem check that you are not using the corvette part which is different.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can remove it, I suggest you run a threaded rod all the way into the crank, then use a nut/washer to install it. Put the pulley in the oven and get it hot as *****, then run outside, and put it on as quickly as possible. You'd be suprised at how easy it will go on.

The threaded rod will use every possible thread in the crank, to keep from harming the threads. You need him to make SURE the threads inside the crank are clean. The factory bolt has a loc-tite kind of substance on it that can get gunked up. Running in a tap a few times, then following with some compressed air should do the trick.