Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LQ9 402 build w/ L92/L76-advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LQ9 402 build w/ L92/L76-advice!

I blew the motor in my 98 Z28 and am in need of a new one. I want to stay on a budget but decided it would be worth the extra money to upgrade to a 402. I talked with SDPC today and believe I will be getting their 402 iron block shortblock. From reading around, it looks like the L92 heads and L76 intake are the way to go for a guy on a budget. Is this true?

Which L92 heads are the way to go? From SDPC's website they have a bare L92 head, an assembled L92 head and a L92 upgraded head to .650 lift. Is it worth it jsut to buy their upgraded head? Or would I be better off buying a bare head and purchasing some aftermarket valves and springs?

What size valves are on the L92 heads? Any flow numbers out there? Has anyone started a CNC program or begun porting them? Would it be worth it to have a shop try this or are they great out of the box?

I am going to have this vehicle be my daily driver but I would still like to be in the area of 500+/450+. What would be a good cam? I have a 4400 stall but plan to get it restalled. Would 3200 be a decent size stall for this build?

I like the L76 intake package they have with the rails, injectors and 90mm TB. It looks like a damn good deal along with the heads.

With these heads and intake will I have any problems running my LS1 accessories (starter, alt, ps, etc) or any wiring problems? Fitment issues? I plan on doing the install myself and would like to dodge as many headaches as possible.

Any idea on what I could expect to see number wise out of a 402 with L92 heads and L76 intake setup with a good size cam (somewhere around the Texas Giant).

Thanks and please give me all the feedback you want! I need to get this motor built in the next month. Just remember, I am trying to stay budget!
Old 02-20-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good plan so far. I bought my L92's from Livernois. TSP also was working on a CNC program. My car is under the knife right now so I can't tell ya what it's making yet. From what I've read/researched, with a ported set of L92's and the L76, you should get 500+/470+ failry easy with a relatively mild cam. I believe all the LS! accesories will work w/o issues.

Quick Reply: LQ9 402 build w/ L92/L76-advice!