Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Warped TTIIs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Warped TTIIs

Almost 2 years ago I bought a set of brand new TT2s from Ebay. Then went down to local tire shop and bought some cheapo 275s. From day one with the TTIIs the car had a terrible vibration and it just sucked to drive it. Well yesterday my gf's Z06 wheels came in, and I let her have my 275s for the time being, well her car drives perfect and now my car with her stockers drive perfect. So today I took the TTII's and had them checked out and sure enough every damn one of them are warped.

Now for my question is this a common problem with TTIIs or did I just buy blems off ebay? I'd imagine the latter but just curious.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty common... Not for that wheel, but for any wheel. Hitting a curb, pothole (doesn't even have to be big). Wheels can bend fairly easy. Especially with a low profile tire.

I'd go as far as saying 40-50% of cars that come into the shop (BMW) have bent wheel(s).

Best thing you can do, is mount it in the rear of the car. If they are all bent, you're screwed.

You'll feel it bad in the steering wheel if they are up front. You can still feel it in the rear, but at least the wheel won't shake.

They could be blems, they could of had excessive runout from the factory, etc. It's a low quality, high production wheel. It's possible with any wheel. Best thing you can do is have tires/wheels mounted and balanced at a quality shop with nice equipment. Hunter or equivelant tire machines with road/force balancing. These machines also check for excessive wheel runout.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are also places that can straighten them and make them run true.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had real bad wheel that vibrated between 40-50 bad . Took it to a freindly shop and they first said they would not be able to balance it out but then dude that owns it said it could be balanced . So after using all of their sticky weights I drove out and it really improved the drive . Though I have to did buy a new wheel and since have been fine .
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Even though I've decided to get a new set of wheels, where could you have the wheels straighten at and how much?

When I had the wheels checked everyone of them had a wobble would that neccesarily mean that they're warped or maybe just out of balance?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are wobbling when turned by hand then they are warped or out of round.

You'll need to call around some tire shops in your area to find a place that straightens them.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Launching!

yeah I thought so, just figured I'd ask. One was worser than the others.

Figured I mention the name I bought these off of too, for potential customers. The seller's name is edinboro/rons rims. They have 100% feedback,(seems like its a different name now than what it was when I ordered but my feedback is on there). So if anyone decides to order from them have the wheels checked out good. I just assumed it was the cheap *** tires I bought and now I'm screwed. What pisses me off the most though is the damn shop I went to have the tires mounted didn't even tell me they were warped.

BTW Jason, nice sig pic