Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does this sound right

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this sound right

long story short. I need to weld my exhaust but an scared to do so. Here is the story.

My buddy helped my put my stall in which went fine except for a kink in the dipstick tube. car runs well, stall has been in for about a year with no mechanical problems. However, abut a month after the install, the car was sitting in my driveway (brand new, freshly poured concrete by the way) for the weekend and on Monday I noticed a good size puddle under the car... tranny fluid. I cleaned it up and and took the car to the shop and they said it was a bad front seal?

I took the car home, fluid still registering OK and have been driving it ever since with exception to winter but am still starting the car on a weekly bases. But the car has not dropped a oz. of fluid since. My buddy who did the install said **** it, it's fine. Now I need to weld my exhaust but fear I may need to pull the tranny again.

I hate to cut my beautiful stainless exhaust system but it leaks so I can;t stand it any more.

Is it possible the fluid level was just too high and it puked it out? I am curious if the kink in the dip tube is causing a false reading? I thought about taking the car in for tranny flush and seeing if it leaks after that. If not, I thinnk I am ok? Any thoughts? I hate to waste money but I want to make sure the tranny is ok before I weld.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

ttt -thoughts. can a seal be "kind of bad" or is the tranny shop wrong?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why dont you just use some good exhaust band clamps? i wouldnt recommend welding up the whole exhaust because you never know when something might happen and it'll have to come down
Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you able to get the dipstick tube all the way into the transmission? If the tube is leaking at the seal it will drain out when it has been sitting for a while.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

no - I need to replace the dipstick it's qinked like a ***** and I have to jam it in and out to check the fluid. I just need to do it. I'm being a ***** because that bolt in the head gave me serious problems last time.

I will give that a shot and see what happens.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering, is your driveway inclined and the storage not? Or it could have been an excess of tranny fluid from the install of the stall and it finally stopped spilling out. I know when I replaced my tranny it "leaked" for about a month or so until all the fluid finally dripped out of the housing.