Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system for ls1 jeep swap...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel system for ls1 jeep swap...

putting a 5.3 in a 1978 Jeep CJ7...

Not sure what I am gonna have to do as far as the fuel system. I may be getting a new tank too so any reccomendations on what I am gonna have to do is appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

If you can swing a new tank with a sump for an electric pump, by all means do it. Perhaps you can adapt a tank out of a YJ or something like that? I used an external on my '79 Cherokee, but that didn't work too well due to the old tank. My Jeep is in exceptional condition, but nearly 30 years of accumulated gunk in the tank does not do wonders for an electric pump. Not to mention when offroading, you will have fuel starvation problems with anything less than ~1/3 tank.

If the CJ's fuel system is anything like my Cherokee's, you may already have the hard lines in place. In the Cherokee at least, Jeep used a return line to combat vapor lock. If not, you can make them up easily enough. A nice tubing bender and a double flair kit (to bubble the ends of the tube) are all you need tool wise. Summit sells stainless steel tubing by the roll pretty cheap, or use brake line you can pick up at any parts store. The quick connect fittings for the fuel rail can be bought at NAPA or Autozone. Dorman makes them.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

If you are going to be doing any hardcore off camber stuff, a trick way to keep the pickups covered in fuel is to use a few of the new Russel fuel pickups. You can mount a couple in the bottom of the tank, say in each corner, left rear, and right front, so no matter how much fuel you have you will have at least 1 pickup submerged. Look in the current Summit in the fuel system section and you will find them. Im going to make up a custom sheet metal tank, coated on the inside with 4 pickups. It'll be overkill but I hate running out of fuel.

Kyle
Old 03-01-2007, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I had planned on doing the same thing with the old tank, but they were too large in diameter to fit thru the pickup hole. Darn old tanks, ...

Quick Reply: Fuel system for ls1 jeep swap...