Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to R&R my Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Do I need to R&R my Torque Converter?

About a month ago, My transmission went boom. I mean it went boom pretty bad and broke some teeth off of a gear! I finally have gotten my transmission re-built and I'm getting ready to put it back into the car. So, pretty much as the title says, Do I need to send off my Converter to get it rebuilt. I have talked to a few trans shops around and they say that they can't drill and tap the verter like they used to for fear of drilling in too far and messing it up. Would it be ok if I just Filled up the converter with ATF swished it around and spun it, then dumped it out a few times?

Thanx,
Dan
Old 02-27-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The converter is not like a dog bowl, that you can simple swish with water to clean it out. It is a complex fluid/mechanical component that may have endured some damage that will not be visible until you cut it open. Do yourself a favor and send it back to Midwest to have them look it over and fix any issues, at least you will have the sanity knowing the converter is fine when you put everything back together.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly...If you put it back in and the converter has a fatal flaw in it you can have tranny problems AGAIN and be in the same boat or worse than you are now... I always live by the rule of "don't expect, inspect" That way you will KNOW the condition... You can also have them stall it different while they're in there if you wanted to change so that you can kill 2 birds with one stone...
Old 02-27-2007, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed, send it off for a refresh and make sure your cooler is flushed out thoroughly as well.

Quick Reply: Do I need to R&R my Torque Converter?