Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the site...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to the site...

....and I love it. So much good info here.

I have a 97 z28 a4 with a procharger on it. And it needs help...

Bought with the blower installed. I test drove it and everything ran fine. I came back the next day and bought, only the have it blow the motor on the way home .

SO, I got a low mileage motor and swapped it in. Im a relatively competent mechanic so I did it all myself. After the swap the car ran great, but would slowly get hot, so I never got to drive it much, didnt want to overheat it. In trying to get it to run cooler, I must have gotten the Opti all wet and now it it misses. Oh and I was an idiot and put platinum plugs in it. I have since found thats a big no no with a blower. Oh and it has a bad oil leak now. Probably the infamous LT1 intake manifold leak...

So the car has pretty much been a can of worms for me, and im at my wits end. I know some of it was my fault, and some just bad luck. I dont want to just throw parts at it, so im looking for a shop in SoCal that can work on my LT1.

I believe it needs the following:
--First off it probably needs a new Opti
--And the proper plugs/wires
--Oil leak needs fixing
--Im sure it needs a dyno tune for the blower
--Cooling needs to be addressed. Im not sure if its cause of no tune, or if I didnt bleed the cooling system right or what.

I just want this thing to pass smog and be a fun daily driver. Its really a nice car otherwise. It has full hotchkis suspension, and the 30th anniv seats.

The blower is an intercooled ProCharger. From swapping the motor, I got to check it all out, and I think it it needs to be all sorted out. The kit seems kinda cheap or something.

Im in the San Bernardino/Riverside area. I want to drop it off at a competent shop and have it all sorted out so I can stop pulling my hair out about it. I will be selling my motorcycle soon, and will have about 3g's to put into fixing it.

Will that be enough?
What shops are recommended?

Any help will be much appreciated.

--Kendall
Old 03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This whole thing should probably have been posted elsewhere...sorry
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Hey sorry to hear bout the misfortune but hang in there procharger is the best supercharger out there ...intercooled and self contained as well you got a good kit...as far as the causes of the oil leak and your problems im not sure.....i have limited understanding of forced induction but the normal compression i dont think is good i thought you needed to lower the compression in order to run a supercharger...also you will need to get colder plugs...1 or 2 steps i believe the are ngk t6r's or something sorry if im a lil off on that maybe someone else can fill in my gaps.....if your a mechanic just take a weekend and look for your leak and do yourself a favor and change the plugs and wires yourself a tune will also help balnce out your afr etc....as far as over heating all i can say is make sure your not runing like a 12# pulley lol and check coolant make sure the thermostat is running right and your fans are kicking on there is an abundance of help on here so just breath and check it out sorry i couldnt offer more support try the section for forced induction for questions and post up in the regional section for members in your area that know of shops

good luck
Old 03-04-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome. Congrats on the car, hope you get all the gremlins worked out of it soon!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Regular

well welcome sorry about your troubles i am no help here though
Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

welcome! hope you get all your problems solved. lot of great info on this site.