General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

I dont think its the Power Steering but..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont think its the Power Steering but..

When I make a hard left turn (like turning into a parking space) I hear a creaking coming from under the hood, but if I stop turning the steering wheel the noise stops, it also stops if I keep steering the wheel all the way to full lock. It only creeks in a small portion of turning left.

The sound kinda sounds like if you have wet shoes and twist your feet on a linoleum floor, that sound but only much quieter and a little deeper sounding.

So basically it makes noise only when im turning the wheel left but if I keep turning, the noise goes away. It makes no noise when I make a sharp right turn.

I dont think this is the power steering because if the wheel is turned and not moving there is no noise, and there is no noise if I turn right.

I tried to explain this as best as possible.

thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same noise on my trans am. I replaced both outer tie rods, and both sway bar end links and the noise went away. So I'd check those first.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

if I let this go unattended for a while would there be any big problems? maybe a couple months or until it gets warmer outside? or is this a problem that should get fixed right away?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you check to see if they were infact your sway bar end links? If the problem is coming from there you might be able to squeeze out some more time (as long as they aren't falling out and terribly bad), but i would personally change them. If you still havent found the problem I wouldnt let it wait any longer and i would try to find the problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

I took a quick look under the car and I diddnt see any of the links really torn up or anything, but Ill have to jack the car up sometime and really take a closer look, if I find anything major I will post it up, thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good luck man...hope its something easy!