Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dyeing carpet from grey to black?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dyeing carpet from grey to black?

After taking out my console to do some cleaning today, I realized I could just take all the panels off and dye the carpet instead of going through the hassle of having to install all new carpet.

Has anyone had any good luck with dyeing their carpets a different color? If so, what did you use?

Or is it easier to just install new carpet?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would be much better off replacing it. Dyeing will never look right.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a really, really huge pot/pan, LOTS of hot water, and a **** load of rit fabric dye, you could do it easily...

I've heard of people making a rit dye/warmwater/salt solution, and spraying/brushing the carpet with that stuff...

All in all, you cant hurt it, if anything its going to take dark gray carpet, and make it a hair darker if you dont do it enough, but you cant over dye it..

worth a shot before you go out and replace the carpet. But look around for steals, I got a mint ebony carpet for 50 bucks, and installation wasn't bad at all..
Old 03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we used to at a detailing shop i used to work at, but that was only for small spots where replacing the carpet was the only other option. I would have to agree with jargan, it will never look right, or in the end after all the work and product youve used, it probably will have been more beneficial to buy another full carpet

Quick Reply: Dyeing carpet from grey to black?