Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher idle rpm after TB P&P?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Higher idle rpm after TB P&P?

Just had my tb p&p. Idle rpms are at about 990. It feels like it is idling higher than it used to. It has been 3 weeks now, so the pcm has had time to adj. I did a search and the consensus is that it should be that high for an M6, but the car just seems like it is idling too high. I let of the gas to change gears and it doesn't seem like the engine slows like it used to. Is it just breathing that much better from the P&P? Should I lower it some? TIA for your input.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Restricted User

First thing i would try is setting the idle screw down a little, not that it has been raised but its possible.

The next thing i would check is the IAC sensor, there is a little orange o-ring that many people forget to put on with the iac sensor, If it is not there it will create a vacume leak which will cause a higher idle, and it will take longer for the rpms to drop.

If neither of these things work then either there is a vacume leak somewhere or the tb was drilled out, or was ported around the blade seat, letting in too much air. Tim
Old 03-07-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

The organge O-ring is there. If I turn the idle screw and it still revs high, then it has to be a vacuum leak?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Restricted User

Well if the rpm's are "hanging up" a little bit then usually that means a vacume leak. But the tb could just have been ported a little to much around the blade which would let in more air or the hole drilled out.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, to test if it is infact the TB Blade, i'd spray some carb cleaner around the blade to where it seals the housing. Don't have to go crazy with it, but if you notice the motor sucking it past the blade, then you know they've taken to much material out. I'd also check your TB gasket, as a dealer mechanic told me they have to replace them pretty often. GL