Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Need headlight help!!!Desperate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need headlight help!!!Desperate!!!

I’m at my absolute last straw with my headlight problem. Any advice somebody can offer would be highly appreciated. I’ll explain everything I’ve done. Sorry if this is too long. I've searched all the headlight threads I could find and couldn't find anything that helps.

My passenger headlight door does not work at all. It’s not a motor or gear problem because I’ve tested the passenger side motor on the drivers side and it works fine. When I turn light switch to open the doors the motor connected to the passenger side doesn’t move or even try to. I suspected that it was an electrical problem, I’ve checked all the fuses and they are fine. The actual lights on the passenger side work fine. I also checked the headlight connections with a multimeter and they all registered 12.60volts which was the same as the drivers side.

So I guess my question comes down to why would the lights get power just fine, but the headlight door motor doesn’t do anything. So other than me jerry rigging some crazy electrical connections between my two headlight motors is there anything else I can try? And is this something that I could take to a GM dealer to have them try to fix? I’m at my wits end. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 AM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to trace the power lead from the headlight motor to the motor relay and make sure it is working. Just because the lights are getting power does not mean the motor is as they are on seperate circuits.

Pull the motor connections from both side, have someone turn on the headlights and measure the drivers side first and see if it registers power. The motor system either has a switch in the motor that stops the power when the headlights are up all of the way or the relay have a load delay in them.

Then have the person turn them off and measure the passanger side and see if it is getting power.

My guess though is that somewhere from where the power enters the pass side motor to where the headlight motor gets it power is where your problem lies.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

This belongs in the Headlight Sticky at the top of this page: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/177470-firebird-headlights-all-comments-questions-regarding-headlights-go-here.html

Quick Reply: Need headlight help!!!Desperate!!!